perry hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ok my spaceshotness ( if that's a word) is showing again
i have couple older wheels with perrry hubs on set is in excellent shape the other is a rear Schwinn wheel and needs a restore.
the question is how can i find out their history
i do not know anything about them.
any help on how to tell what i got would be great
thanks
Sean

Which Perry hub do you have?
Old Perry Kramer (PK) bmx, or old, really old Perry and co. hubs that were made until the 60s?
I bet you got the older hub!

here, let me google that for you...

If it's the "classic era" hubs we are talking about, here are a couple of links.

http://rmalverson.blogspot.com/2012/01/perry-coaster-hub.html

According to a comment on this site, Perry hubs were sold as "Schwinn Mark IV" as seen in a 1969 Schwinn repair manual. That seems to be what I've got myself, or at least a similar era.

here is a timeline of the company and a collection of adverts:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Perry_and_Co

Perry & Co started out mid 1800s making ink pens, as in the quill kind and I think they still do. When safety bicycles became a thing Perry jumped in to make parts, starting with chains and later "ball bearing hubs" that went along with that. Perry coasters date back to at least 1927, which at that time would have been influenced by American designs. By 1931 they had an "expanding" or drum brake hub on the market. Again they would not have been the innovator here, but more a supplier of successfully tested and marketed parts that originated elsewhere. They also made motorcycle parts, including hubs and chains which were probably the same parts to start with.

A lot of Perry coaster hubs will have interchangeable parts with other British coasters, so brands like Sturmey-Archer, Resilion and Torpedo with the square ended axel can be compatible often, but not always. It is the square ended axel that lumps these all together as this is used to set the non-drive side cone's tension on the bearings. Sheldon Brown's excellent bicycle maintenance site has some documentation on this, and exploded diagrams as well.

I have a Perry 2 Star B-100 coaster hub on a "daily rider" clunker-style mongrel bike just now that I cannot recall where I acquired it anymore. I had put off using it but now found the need to press it into service and it performs okay. They don't have the greatest reputation and I'd carefully inspect yours and service it before running it for safety reasons. Having said that, they work when they aren't broken and do the job they are designed for. Just don't expect them to be something to take to the skatepark and slammed onto the concrete a dozen times a day. Your post gives me the excuse to look into the background of these hubs a little. Consider all this just my own opinion but it's based on research and not just hearsay.

England was bombed extensively during WW2 and their economy and industry had a hard time recovering in the 1950s. Food was rationed during the war, and after the war food rationing was even tighter in some regards, as the Labor-Party led government tried to feed all the areas under British control after the collapse of the Third Reich. Housewives tired of the strain, and by 1951 the Conservative party was making inroads by using political promises to end rationing (and to stop trying to feed starving refugees). At least in part on these promises, they eventually they gained control of Parliament and food rationing ended in 1954 and the hardships were moved to the occupied nations and the British colonies significantly.

I don't know if Perry's Birmingham factory was directly bombed or not, but the city was bombed extensively and every industry in the nation suffered hardships in retooling after the war that affected the overall quality of goods to some degree. The Perry works were in the Tyseley district near the locomotive yards and locomotive factories and were certainly a target of at least three raids directly.

Nearby Coventry was bombed as well, and this town is the epicenter of the bicycle industry in many regards. These are the "Midlands" of England and Birmingham is the second largest city, and the third-most bombed city during the Blitz. Lucas, Rover, Reynold, Su Carbs, and of course BSA (both bikes and small arms) were among the hundreds of factories that were bombed. Putting it mildly, this tends to disrupt the flow of work, and the flow of qualified workers as well. Something like 1,300 tons of bombs, including high explosives, incendiary devices and parachute bombs landed on Birmingham's houses, shops and factories over a three year period, over seventy separate attacks including ten terrifying major air raids, often at night.

The British also managed to win the air war against the Luftwaffe during this bombing campaign. They were fighting against Fascists, and they won because they had to, or else have their way of life perish, a way that included the rights guaranteed by documents like the Magna Carta. Our freedom, such as it is, is in part due to the efforts of the citizens and soldiers of England who endured the Nazi onslaught and showed their "finest hour."

It's a testament to the character of their nation that they were building some of the best motorcycles in the world by the mid 1950s, and in some regards led the world in the late 50s, early 60s. Perry ads often said "Of Chain Fame" and my old Norton Commando had a Perry chain. Many daring and grueling races were won by the Norton team in this era, driving on Perry chains, enhancing their reputation. Reynold bought out Perry sometime in the 1950s and that chain-sourcing changed but some version of the company clearly carried on.

Does this help?

As always, post pics and include any and all writing/ serial numbers on the items you are asking about so we can help.

Last edited:
I have a couple Perry hubs in service and a couple on the shelf. They were used by Schwinn and Monark for sure in the 50's. They have spring retracted brake shoes that result in a low drag efficient operation, which is what I am after. :) I have noted that they are identical in design to the Fichtel & Sachs (German) "Torpedo" coaster hub. I do not know which is the designer/owner and which is the licensee. The German Torpedo seems to date back to the '30's from what I have seen.

I have 2 varieties, the earlier that has a semi-rigid 1 piece brass brake shoe, and the later that has a 2 piece segmented black brake shoe. In my experience, such that it is, the earlier variety has weak brakes and the latter are much better.

The design was licensed and produced by a couple other European makers in the 50's and 60's and appeared in the US marked "Hawthorn", "Remak", and some other names. It's distinguishing and unmistakable feature is the roller style engagement of the hub driver and brake actuator.

ok sorry for the delay but here are the hubs pictured
the first one is in really good shape and been reconditioned
it says perry 100 on the brake arm and the hub shell has the number s7-21? i will check again but that was the best i could make out
the rear cog side of the axle is squared off on the end but it is a single speed.
when i serviced it it had 2 brake shoes that looked to be connected like a spring
here's pictures of the first one to my knowledge their original but i do not know
here's the brake arm picture

the cog side

i tried to show the hub shell but couldn't get in there very good i will try to get a better picture but as you can see it kinda domes inward in the middle
this one does not have a service nipple for oiling

this one is on a wheel that is silver but looks to be just polished nickel and off my girls columbia which i believe is from the 50's,however the tires are schwinn spitfire so i believe the wheels may be schwinn but not sure.
and the second one, which is off my 58 tornado 24 inch schwinn s wheel(the white ones not silver)
this one i have not torn into yet so i don't know bout the internals im gonna rebuilt it eventually.
here,s the second one
pics a lil blurry but as you can see the axle is squared ff on the chain wheel side

the brake arm is more curved and has two stars after the perry name on it so i assume its a perry 2 star just by what i already know
the hub shell is similar to the first one but this one does have the oil nipple on it.
even though this one needs a rebuild it rolls really freely and when i oiled it with wd 40 it loosened right up almost good as new so i assume the internals are rather good on it guess i will find out soon enough lol.

I have a couple Perry hubs in service and a couple on the shelf. They were used by Schwinn and Monark for sure in the 50's. They have spring retracted brake shoes that result in a low drag efficient operation, which is what I am after. :) I have noted that they are identical in design to the Fichtel & Sachs (German) "Torpedo" coaster hub. I do not know which is the designer/owner and which is the licensee. The German Torpedo seems to date back to the '30's from what I have seen.

I have 2 varieties, the earlier that has a semi-rigid 1 piece brass brake shoe, and the later that has a 2 piece segmented black brake shoe. In my experience, such that it is, the earlier variety has weak brakes and the latter are much better.

The design was licensed and produced by a couple other European makers in the 50's and 60's and appeared in the US marked "Hawthorn", "Remak", and some other names. It's distinguishing and unmistakable feature is the roller style engagement of the hub driver and brake actuator.

Hubs of the same design are still manufactured and sold today as a "premium" component by the name of "Velosteel"!

sweet!! looks like i got an older version of something cool.thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it.
gonna hold onto these for a build sometime in the future.
i was just curious about them.
thanks guys
Sean.

Back