Pedal Problems...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well I was riding my 1948 Roadmaster yesterday to take advantage of one of the last few days of decent weather and I started to hear some squeaking. I've put about 20 miles on the bike and all was fine up until yesterday but, as I rode the squeaking would come and go. It started off very faint but, by the end of my ride it was getting pretty loud. When I got home I found that one of my pedals would not spin freely like the other. I could feel that while riding too.

Unfortunately I am away at college and away from tools to tear down the pedal. I'm guessing I lost a bearing in the pedal? The pedals are the original Torrington 8's but, I completely cleaned and greased them. I did run into an issue with them. I purchased replacement nos pedal blocks and if I assemble the pedals with all of the stock hardware and tighten them up, the nut on end of the pedal axle comes in contact with the inside of the dome of the end cover of the pedal. I remedied that by adding a washer between the pedal block and the inside end cap. Doing that however puts end-to-end play in the pedals. Are my pedals too loose and causing the squeaking and bad bearing?

When I finished this bike last spring all of the bearings were either new or meticulously cleaned and heavily greased. I doubt it could be the bottom bracket. The noise was low and sounded like it was directly below me. Thoughts?

Back