pearl over powder coat? possible?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey expert painters- I have a powder coated (pure white) frame that I would like to have a coat of pearl put on as top coat.Is this possible? Has anyone heard of a pearl in a rattle can? Thanks, Russ

Check out Alsa Corp!

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killer ... pearls.htm

I have not used any of their products in spray cans but I have used some of their products using a spray gun and they have always worked well. I paint for some custom builders and have applied a pearl mid coat and and painted logos, then clearcoat over a powder coated base on frames. Check out http://www.engincycles.com under the bicycles tab then look in city road bicycles the green commuter bike was done that way, the green was powder and everything else was done with traditional wet paint. All of the bicyles pictured on the site are ones that I have painted.

I hope this helps!

Todd
P.S. Make sure to lightly scuff the powder coat before applying the pearl. Grey scotch brite pad or 800-1000 grit sandpaper, just be careful not to sand thru on the edges. Also make sure that you use a new scotch brite or sandpaper and use light pressure or you can drag dirt into the white and it can be tough to remove.

and DONT use any solvent,like acetone on the powdercoat. Its actually a plastic,and will melt with acetone. I KNOW this, cause I screwed up a piece of machinery I had done. Dripped PVC glue on it, and wiped it up with acetone. Not good......

Wow -the Alsa site is crazy! I never new those paints existed in a can! More ideas for another project.
Maybe what I want is not a pearl "base coat" though. My idea is a clear with "pearl in it". So the bike remains white but any sun /light reflection gives an orange/copper color -albeit very subtle. Is that still pearl ,or am I asking for something else?
Thanks for input guys. rjm

I'm not sure if the pearl base coat from Alsa is translucent like you are talking about, that is the traditional way it is done. If not you could probably just put a few very light coats on because you already have the white powder coat base.

Todd

Back