PayPal is a rip off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fees are a bummer but I figure there is a premium to pay to have access to the service. I never transfer money from my bank account to paypal. It takes a long time to get there for some "administrative" reason. What I find funny is that any other money transfer on paypal is instantaneous, so I guess they feed from the interest of your money while it's in limbo. I only use paypal for internet transactions and use the debit card to get access to the funds in the real world. I call it my "funny money".

I had a overpayment on ebay,from when I had CANCELED my ebay store about a year ago of 30 some dollars. I had actually forgotten about it until a few weeks ago and my balance is now $14.37 Thats why i hate ebay they should have paid me interest to keep my money but no they charge me to keep my money. That my friends is a RIPOFF!

Walker said:
Pay pal is cheaper than buying a money ordar and a stamp. for the convenience its short $. I held out for a long time before committing to a Pay Pal account.

When sending $, if you opt for "personal", "money owed" I believe the fees are reduced or non existent. :D

If you select "Personal" then "Gift" there are no fees. What bugs me is if I purchase something using Paypal it's instantaneous, but if I try to take money out of Paypal it takes 4 days. You gotta love modern technology.

The only problem with selecting "Gift" is that you then forfeit any kind of buyer protection on the item you are buying.

I have no problem with a company making money off of their services, but it's just been a little harder to swallow for those of us who have been using them for a while now and know what it used to cost to sell stuff.

Y'all should post on Yahoo's Balloon Tire Bicycles group. About all they do on there is complain either about ebay or paypal!!!! :lol: Although I have to give credit for it leading me here via 37fleetwood's Godzilla link! -Adam

I'm pretty happy with PayPal. The fees are cheaper than my bank (old school Building Society), and generally quicker, plus there is that certain amount of protection.

What does get me riled though, is I just had a non-payer on ebay (clicked Buy it now), who failed to contact me at all, did not answer emails, and is still buying/paying for other items :x . I filed a Non-payment claim, and now can't leave negative feedback. Along with this, nothing appears on his feedback/profile to let other ebayers know he has been a non-payer.

There, that's my rant.................I feel better now :) .

I will have to rant about non selling sellers! I hope that made since.... I bid on a bike about two weeks ago and lost the auction. I saw the bike listed again last week emailed the guy and he said he never recieved payment from the high bidder so he relisted it. I won the second auction for the bike at a price of 120 dollars less then my first auction bid. I have emailed the seller twice for his paypal payment info since the end of the auction (4-23-2010) and haven't heard a word from him. I am just wondering if he isn't getting the price he wants so he is just going to keep relisting it till he does? He has a 100 percent feedback rating and I am wondering why the first bidder was not able to leave negative feedback on the first auction because now I am beginning to think that the first bidder tried to pay for the bike but couldn't also?

You have to be careful....sometimes issues come up and people are not able to get to their PCs.

You certainly have the upper hand in this situation as the buyer. You get to leave negative feedback and he doesn't.

With a 100% feedback rating I'm sure the guy will come around.

Just to let everyone know I don't get charged when receiving money using paypal. You have to tell the one sending the money to check the box that says "GIFT" this will nullify the fee. it will also have pay bill and a few other options. it would be wise to look into this. Just to let everyone know Ann Arbor was awesome eventhough it rained.

dont use the green dot moneypak cards from walmart to load paypal
they dont work and you cannot get your money back lost a ........ of money on this crap

Still haven't heard from the seller of the bike I won :x I think i am just going to buy local or from sellers here from now on! SO RATROD you must be pyschic since you knew the guy had a 100 feedback lol So do you think I got a good deal on the bike or should I be lucky that he is not emailing me back. My cousin lives in texas I think i am going to send her to his house to pick my bike up.

Stretch,

i am glad this topic came up. I am planning to start selling bikes, and motorized bikes here locally in ATX. I have been debating on whether or not to open a paypal acct. I was initailly only going to accept cash or money orders since I intend to just keep it local at first. Still, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have one.

sojudave said:
Stretch,

i am glad this topic came up. I am planning to start selling bikes, and motorized bikes here locally in ATX. I have been debating on whether or not to open a paypal acct. I was initailly only going to accept cash or money orders since I intend to just keep it local at first. Still, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have one.

It doesn't hurt to have one. I know a few people that tend not to like money orders just because it has to go through the mail with no security.

Just sent money threw paypal to pay for two auctions I won. Lets hope i receive my items. I bought a bike for 292.50 on one of the auctions. I heard ebay only pays back up to 200 dollars(thru buyer protection), Is that true?

I don't know if this has already been covered. Too much stuff to read through for me. The real rip when you sell is Ebay (9%). even for bank transfers (e-checks) Paypal takes $5. If you're buying/selling with someone you know you can trust (on this forum for example) send the payment as a personal gift. Transfers instantly and not a penny gets taken by Paypal. As far as buyer protection goes, the bank/credit card company is your real protection, that's where Paypal sends you anyway. I'm sure it's a rare case that paypal or ebay pays out on any fraud or transactions gone wrong.

I hope I don't have to use ebay or paypals buyer protection but it has been two weeks since i paid for my bicycle off ebay and i haven't seen it get mailed yet from texas. Any members here around austin texas that i can pay to go to his house and get my bicycle if it comes down to that?

whats silly is if I use my paypal debit card as a credit card it withdraws money from my bank account at no fee... then it gives me a cash back bonus for using it. my banks debit card doesnt do this so I always use my paypal debit card for any purchase lol it adds up over time :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my money out. They wont give you over $500 per month,even though they charge you. Poop! :x :x

Latest posts

Back