PayPal as a gift

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outside of feeBay, you have no recourse as a buyer if you sent $$ as a gift and the deal goes south. That's what happened to me when I was battling Leon Dixon for 6 weeks.

Why don't we take a stance as a Forum to never do pay as a gift, unless you are really comfortable with the seller. We could inform folks that 'pay as a gift' is frowned upon unless you're an old-timer here.

Never use "gift" and the safest way to pay

The way to protect your interest in ANY internet money transaction is to pay as a "guest " using a credit card through PayPal.

Have the people send you an invoice and choose the "pay as a guest" option. Fill in cc info and all done.

If there is a problem you contact paypal and they refund IN FULL ALL THAT WAS CHARGED, when you return the item.

PayPal has to do it because if they refuse to refund then you do a credit card chargeback.

Then PayPal not only loses all the origional charge amount PLUS a 33.00 intra bank fee.... :mrgreen:

as for "gifts" if the seller is under my desk they get a well ya know.... :p

Just adding my 2 cents here...the reason for using paypal is for protection. I've bought an item (on a car forum) and never received it, put in a dispute and got my money back. Sure it took some back and forth, and the seller wasn't happy, he claimed to have sent the item but couldn't prove it...all I know is I never received it! With that said, if I had sent him cash or a money order I would have been out a lot of money. As more of a buyer than a seller I usually ask to use paypal for my protection. If the buyer complains about the costs involved than its time to negotiate. :wink: IF he totally refuses than its time to find a different seller.

I don't have a Paypal account I just use postal money order or cash. Easy to cash with no fee and you got to go to the post office to send it out anyway. Has always worked great for me. Takes a little longer but not that long.

Back