Pawel's build thread.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Pawel, a brother, a son, fisherman, factory machine operator, college drop out (stay in school kids), bust most important Im a bicycle enthusiast. Always loved bicycles, and enjoyed peddling around on em. In the pages to fallow my bikes and how I went about building them.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Nameless one (for now) - pages 1 through last.

-Before
lastride.jpg

-After
Coming when done :D

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Nameless One (for now :D)

I cant think of a name :( which is really depressing lol ... but if you guys have any ideas .. feel free to share.

First build ever, been craving a cruiser for the longest, I ride trails alot so Im not new to bikes.. but am to taking them apart and re doing everything on em...so I first wanted a stretched cruiser ... but when I came across this bike on CL I had to jump on it.

So to the pictures..

I went to the store, picked up a chain tool, and a spoke key for later on and to take the chain off but before I took it down to the "lab" .. aka my basement lol I took it for its last ride :) that I greatly enjoyed.

started taking bike apart...slowly but surely she got going..

gettingthere.jpg

ran into a quick problem with the stem but after being called a dummy for doing it wrong and told how I got it off.

img00153200908221618.jpg

for some reason once i took the crank off i got side tracked and started polishing it lol..but stopped half way in between and moved onto something else.

crankf.jpg

..started out with a paint stripper, that burned the poop out of me.. had on gloves but it managed to find its way all over my arms..

strippery.jpg

leaking.jpg

I ran low on the first can, and decided to ditch it for a hand grinder with a 120grit wheel for the rest of the paint ... which i regret doing, my dad pointed out thats its chewing up the metal..so what I did next was take 180grit and went to town, by hand .. to bare metal. I must say if you wanna get a good paint job you gotta put the work in (atleast thats what I think..) the paint stripper did a good job but next time im just gonna hit the whole frame with a high grit till its smooth and primer, its ALOT of work going to bare metal by hand.

hard to see but its finally in bare metal

baremetal.jpg

baremetal1.jpg

I then started cleaning it off with an acidisor .. or something like that .. and started primer .. first coat was done tonight

primerq.jpg

.. tomorrow ill wet sand, recoat, and take the wheels apart, clean first coat / wetsand 2nd coat ... and same for chain guard, clean first coat, wet sand .. 2nd coat. ... also want to take the handle bars that were on this bike and try making them work on my ss commuter, well see how that works out.

I gotta get some gloss black paint as well to paint the spokes, and need to get some high grit sand paper, so Ill do that tomorrow..I also ditched the tank idea because I jumped the gun and I have the sheet metal / bondo / welder here to fill the tank in but jumped the gun with the primer no I dont wanna work backwards so Im gonna put a tank on my second bike ,

I gotta order parts still..gonna wait till next saturday or saturday after to order fork, tires, stem .. some other tuff etc...Im gonna look through the box and see what I could save / reuse .. stem is def. getting replaced..and I also gotta find fender, im talking to one guy now from CL who said he has a set.

and for laughs and because you read through the whole thread..heres a picture of the real timon and pumba from lion king lol

real_life_timon_and_pumba.jpg

Re: "_________name goes here_______" Build.

I'm not that picky about paint, when I can be lazy instead. :lol: I probably would have just sanded off the labels and used the factory finish as a base coat. I recommend throwing that handle bar clamp/stem/gooseneck/whatever in the trash or recycle bin and get a solid one.

UncleKudzu said:
wow, you didn't waste any time going to work on her.

nope and today Im going at it hard too, taking a quick brake for a hotdog and catching up on some threads, then back to work.. i wetsanded the frame already, started on a tank that I ended up ditching .. and sprayed the second coat of the filler primer, one more wet sand sometimes during the week and its gonna be ready to be put aside for paint. I also stripped the chain guard, sanded smooth..letting the first coat of primer dry, then down stairs to wetsand the guard(1st time), the frame (2nd time) .. and spray 2nd coat of primer on chain guard, wet sand it and call it a day. I gotta do as much work as I can during the weekend because monday wednesday thursday friday Im at the gym for 3 hrs after work and when I get home its about 8 and I dont wanna do anything but shower and lay down. Ill probably start on the wheels tuesday hopefully ill knock em out by night time .. ill have some pictures up tonight of what I did today.

lookin good!
FYI, Walmart sells whitewalls for 10-14$....
and, a blade type fork or springer would look sweet on there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yea Im getting a springer fork .. and white walls I found on lovely lowrider for 15$ a pop, figure im ordering the fork and headset , stem , some other parts so I might as well just order them from there.

Done for the day, chain guard is stripped, painted, wet sanded, repainted, wet sanded again .. now wrapped up with foil and ready to be painted when the time comes, frame too..

guardo.jpg

readyforpaint.jpg

.. updates on the back burner for now, like I said week isnt the best for me to do anything .. so most likely ill pick up some fenders thursday / friday .. get those done up and order the parts this saturday? or next saturday..

Re: My Build.

For stripping the bike down to bare metal...KS3 Kleen Strip in the spray can....but ALWAYS do it outside, not in your basement :shock: Major fumes, but strips it all in about 15 minutes or less. For stubborn spots, just reapply. :wink: Oh, and make sure you don't use it on a windy day...don't ask me how I know,I just do :oops:

no pictures, ill have some tomorrow, I need to pick up some gloss black .. Today I cut some 10gauge? 12 gauge? .. some thing like that for a hanging tank filler type piece, gotta prime it and sand it a couple times ... I started to sand the wheels, I dont want to delace em because Ill never get em true and I dont want to pay 60$ to get them relaced and probably scratched .. so Ill get cracking on that tomorrow and hopefully have both wheels painted black whats need to be painted black .. and primer whats gonna get painted ... i took out the axle and bearings and all that good stuff and cleaned em of, gonna regrease when new tires / tubes get here. Its getting there, Im pushing to get it done by next thursday but dont know if its gonna happen.

found this in the garage today, gonna figure out a way to stealth the wires through the frame and hide the battery pack in side bag or something ... maybe even convert it to LEDS for a better / stronger light.

gave up on trying to get it done by thursday .. I wanna do this bike right, Ill post tons of pictures tomorrow of new parts etc.

lightwsg.jpg

i've seen this one guy on here a while ago drill a hole in the cantilever tube and out the back near the seat bolt and thread a wire through the tube to a generator set up in the back, wish I could remember who :?

drove almost 3hrs with traffic to NJ to meet up with Brian (BigHit) .. picked up some parts :) excited about what I got and the great deal I got on em, but on the way home I convinced myself that i now HAVE TO fiberglass the tank haha.

got some fenders ill end up chopping up, got a fork / stem / apes .. white wall tires :D .. a new headset its ready to get popping!!

partsu.jpg

its gonna look good thats for sure1!!!

mock.jpg

and i got so excited I had to try out the fork / apes for size...what do you know perfect fit.

readyi.jpg

hit a road block...the wheel hub dosent fit on the fork, unless i took it apart and put it together wrong (dont think I did) .. but I took it down to the LBS and was told the that the space between the dropouts is seppose to be 100mm and this fork has it about 75. I gotta mess around around the spacers, and see what I could do but at the same time when I take apart the and remove spacers theres way to much play in the drop outs .. and wheel still dosent fit -.- .. sigh taking a quick brake eating lunch or what have you .. i taped off the tank and got it ready for fiberglass but when I couldnt find the scissors I threw stuff across the basement and came upstairs for a brake. I also concluded that Im taking my time with the build...its sucking up alot of money weekly and its keeping me away from the gym, so Im only gonna work on it on the weekends and furlough days from work. Its gonna get done just take alot longer to get done..picture of tank, more to come tonight.

tank2q.jpg

Back