Patina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to create this patina? Thanks
4110052139_389000a9ab_b.jpg

All I know the process consist of rusting the metal than rubbing it with motor oil, does anyone know the details? Much appreciated thanks

I don't know about that. Rubbing a car with what i would assume is used oil (to get it black) would leave the car smelling terrible and no clearcoat could stick to it, so it would rinse off when it rains. I would paint the car metallic gray then coat it solid but lightly with flat black and use rubbing compund and a buffer to bring the gray back through.

You might ask on some of the rat rod car sites. It sure does look like burned on oil. I wonder if heat is involved also? That is a great finish, and what a cool fusion btwn slick BMW and rat.

I've read the build thread on that car. he rusted thewhole thing drove it for a while, rubbed it down with navel jelly (thats what turns the rust black) then rubbed it with diesel motor oil. I dont have a link to the site but if you google some thimg to the effect of "rusty the BMW stanceworks" it should come up. Fyi the build thread on that car is pretty long.

Thanks topher, I saw the build. I didn't realize the navel jelly was what turns it black. I think imma give it a try

Back