Patina Cruiser-Clunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short... I found another bike to add to the collection two weeks ago. Took it completely apart, soaked the bearings and pedal cranks in gas, re-greased and assembled. Rides like a charm and it looks quite a bit like the original fat tire type of bike (new Belgium brewery type of fat tire) so I added a little New Belgium tire patch kit.

It is a Murray Monteray, and it has a little sticker by the bottom bracket that has 03-78, anybody know if that's the date of manufacture?

At any rate, on to what we all like, the pictures:

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

It is a Murray Monteray, and it has a little sticker by the bottom bracket that has 03-78, anybody know if that's the date of manufacture?
Yes, it's usually a black decal w/white letters. That's an early ballooner Monterey, the used the name on a 3 speed touring bike til 76 or so, then used it into the early 90s on the cruiser. Great bike to build something out of! I have an 82 that I built into a retro rat.
CRIM0001.jpg

-Adam

i like it...but do you just put the paint can in the basket and carry it around...or you gonna get a kickstand LOL!!! i'd just tote the paint can around!

Likin' it....I'm considering pulling the trigger on an old Murray frame myself, this one would be going over to the darkside for a motor. Of course I want an old Schwinn, but for the money, I'm thinking Murray.

I love Murrays. Cheap and the parts are easy. I ran across a Santa Cruz and redid it sort of like a boardtracker.

S6303672.jpg

Back