PATE SWAP MEET OBSERVATIONS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Decided to take the day off today and visit the Pate Swap Meet out at the Texas Motor Speedway.

I got there around 7:30am. The gates had opened at 7:00 and there was lots to see since the meet started yesterday. It's become one of the largest swap meets in the U.S....right up there with Hershey. There must have been 20-30 rows of stuff and each row seemed like 2 or 3 football fields long. I brought a Motomag with me to ride so that helped A LOT. Ended up staying for about two and a half hours.

Thankfully it will still cloudy and in the 70s when I got there and managed to sneak the bike in through one of the side entrances. Apparently they are okay with you riding bikes and mopeds around in the early morning, but around 10am they start enforcing the no ride policy there.

Anyway...didn't buy anything, but a $4.00 Coke and tried to take some photos with my iPhone of interesting stuff for everyone to see. Oh, I also ran into Queasy Rider (Jim) at the meet and we happened to see a guy selling some overpriced Schwinn middleweights. I also figured out that there is no way I will ever be able to afford a nice vintage car anymore...ha ha! :lol:

Click here for the full slideshow >>> http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m130/ratrodbikes/pateswapmeet2012/?albumview=slideshow

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Well that was kind of funny...

I saw the bikes first and then realized that Jim was standing there and walked up and said hi to him. We stood there talking for about 10 minutes about what what we had seen and what we were looking for. I mentioned the fact that I had seen the coppertone Panther and the guy was asking $425 for it. We both chuckled and said that we wouldn't pay that much for the bike.

So we we looked down at this black Jaguar that was in okay shape and wasn't all that exciting. It had a Cadet speedo, a horn, the tank was there, but no rear rack. Overall a decent looking bike. Jim asks the guy...hey, how much for the Jag? Without hesitation the guy says...I'll take $1400 for it...OBO. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought Jim was gonna pass out on the guys bikes when he said it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Well that was kind of funny...

I saw the bikes first and then realized that Jim was standing there and walked up and said hi to him. We stood there talking for about 10 minutes about what what we had seen and what we were looking for. I mentioned the fact that I had seen the coppertone Panther and the guy was asking $425 for it. We both chuckled and said that we wouldn't pay that much for the bike.

So we we looked down at this black Jaguar that was in okay shape and wasn't all that exciting. It had a Cadet speedo, a horn, the tank was there, but no rear rack. Overall a decent looking bike. Jim asks the guy...hey, how much for the Jag? Without hesitation the guy says...I'll take $1400 for it...OBO. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought Jim was gonna pass out on the guys bikes when he said it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pardon me,I just passed out ,wife had to splash water on me---------1400.00????????????? oops,just passed out again lol

Dad and I willbe there about 8:30 tomorrrow morning. Post up if you think you might be there I'll post up what street I am on.

Man oh man...all I can say is, get there early. :shock:

When I left at 10am the crowds were starting to grow and it's only Friday.

You won't see me there on a Saturday. :lol:

wow, thats alot of neat stuff to go through. i havent seen an old hodaka ace 100 since the early 70`s! i went to TMS once back in `98,for a goodguys regional meet in my black and chrome 1961 olds 88. you dont realize how steep the banking is on those tracks until you see it in person! :shock:

It was great, leaving now. I don't think it was as busy as it has been in recent years.

I miss when It used to be on hwy 377 on the way to Granbury. And I took My Skyway TA into the middle of the racetrack in the late 90's. Before the crackdown.

Saw some cool bikes.

8b9db408.jpg

That is my dad and he is 5'8"
ccad8d46.jpg

5e452380.jpg

My future bike trailer
831394fd.jpg

Didn't see any Econoline trucks. Ha ha
I saw a couple street rods that had for sale painted on the window.
Learned a long time ago if they did that not to bother asking how much they wanted. :shock: :shock:

I didn't get over to the big car sale section...it was pretty big though.

I started thinking...hmmm, maybe I need to be on the lookout for Econoline parts...and then I realized I had no idea what I would be looking for. :lol:

Back