Part out or restore? Ladies Wards Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ratina said:
Toeslider said:
It's a 26" wheel bike.

Weird, I've never seen a tank like that on a 26" before

I had a 1941 CWC Hawthorne I parted otu with that same tank, excpet it was a horn-delete. It was a 26 as well.

Hi! It is a nice looking bike and you could easily find a headlight that would be more age appropriate. I was just kidding about the dibbs on the light - gotta keep things exciting. If you don't need the cash and like riding it, keep it. If you want to sell it and have a conscience keep it together. If you put it up for sale at a reasonable price, no one is interested and you take into consideration that by parting it out you may help someone finish a restoration then part it out. Go with your gut and Have Fun! Robert

Quick question, hopefully someone will see this here and respond. Does the fork look correct for this bike? Just bought a used replacement from a similar bike, and it's different. The one on the bike was bent, so now I'm wondering if it had been replaced at some point?

Fork looks original to me. But the headlight is a much later addition. I have one of those Bike Pals headlights, I think they're from the 70s.

If it were me I wouldn't part it out. It's close enough to original, and complete enough that it's the kind of bike you should be parting out other bikes in lesser condition to complete it. :wink:

I've already disassembled it to "restore". Main stumbling block right now is that the steering stem rotates in the fork where they fit together. I don't know if they're press-fit together to begin with or welded somehow, but whatever kept them together has given up. They wont come apart, just spin. I suppose a well placed tack weld or two will fix the problem.

Back