Part 2 of the saddle bag build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of you may have already seen the saddle bags that I had made for my low and go

IMG_0938.jpg

I really was not happy with the bags. They looked great on the bike and they rec'vd many coments on rides....however I felt they were below my standard of trim work. :(

I found that the bags would lean out ward and when you placed a few things into the bags it would become worse, and place stress on the mounts. I also found the bags to be too loose ....baggy, not tight! so with the help from my nieghbour and guidence from Big Daddy, here is what we came up with

this time we felt a full frame was in order, much like the ones on motorcycles

IMG_1051.jpg

out came the welder

IMG_1053.jpg

I was not happy with the zipper so we made a lid

IMG_1056.jpg

and Ta-Da! two odd shapped mail boxes lolol :shock: :lol:

IMG_1057.jpg

not done yet more to come. I'll be sure to post some pictures on how I plan to wrap it

I was not able to get as much done today as I hoped but here we go

I cleaned up all the welds and cut the old bags up. The backs are no longer any good, however the fronts were!

IMG_1058.jpg

next I sewed on a new back and middle but this time a little smaller :)

I use a little silicone spray to help stretch it on along with some steam....there you go a few tricks of the trade for ya! :D

IMG_1059.jpg

Im using small butt hinges along with stainless screws for the top lid. I'm also going to make a liner for the box and wrap the lid tomorrow

IMG_1061.jpg

I'm much happier with type of saddle than the last. with this method It will make making others easier!

Can ya feel the love ... Ahhhhh..... We are lucky to have so much talent in our cul-da-sac,... We're just a bunch of fun lovin' gearheads I guess... :D

And by the way Big John did the finishing work on the mailboxes...as much as I would like to take credit... IT WASN'T ME ... I SWEAR.... 8)

well Its done and I'm happy with it! Some good things were brought up about how to mount them thu

thanks to ClothesPin and Big Daddy for the input

so here is what we did

we went with L brackets bolted to the frame

IMG_1187.jpg

and I used wing nuts to mount the saddle to the bracket so if I need to remove it I do not need any tools :D

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

i really like how they are mounted now! they appear to be floating... much better than that blue bra strap :mrgreen: it's much cleaner looking now!
awesome work!

Flippin great job on the second go around. The first version was amazing now you one up that job. A pleasure "watching" your work.

Clancy

I saw them In Person The other day and they are built absolutly incredible.

The work,The Pan's,The stitching,the details,the upholstered inside.
They are Fabulous Murray!

Great work....now where does The Line Begin to Order a set Folks :lol: :lol: :lol:

right after you my friend! :mrgreen: right after you!

I would like to thank you Kev.... you have inspired me with your skill and love for this craft. I have had a great time here and met alot of great people! All of which equal talent and pastion.

I look forward to building and learning more!

thanks everybody for your comments :D

Latest posts

Back