Park HCW-1 43mm Crank to Chain Ring Nut Wrench

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
These wrenches are no longer available... I'm tired of having to ask the LBS for this service, even though they don't charge me. The wrench will come up on eBay every so often but I always get outbid. Is there another source? Is there another proper tool? No, a crescent wrench is not a proper tool! Seems like it would be really easy for a guy with access to a water jet to cut out a few...

Is this used for removing a one piece crank? I didn't find much online regarding what it used for.

cman said:
Is this used for removing a one piece crank? I didn't find much online regarding what it used for.

Yes, for removing the chain ring on a one piece crank. I couldn't even find a picture of one online, but I've seen a Park version and an old Schwinn version also.
cman said:
I found this tidbit elsewhere.

OR Buy this. For an ATV but still the right size.
<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-ATV-Axle-nut-wrench-fits-43mm-27mm-/250555124682

That does not look like it would work. It's not a hex nut.

I thought you meant 1 11/16" ;) I don't see how a box end will work in there though?

I have a friend with a CNC Plasma cutter. I'm going to have him make me a wrench, and while he's at it, cut out a few more. I'll make them 43mm on one side and 37mm on the other just like the originals. 1/8" flat stock steel should work?

Anyone interested in some? I haven't figured out price yet, but I will.

I'm a firm believer in using "the proper tool" but I've never used anything but a crescent wrench to remove/install these nuts and it works just fine.I also always have the crank held in a vice with soft jaws. I guess an end wrench would be easier 'cause its lighter,maybe I'll try it.

I'm a proper tool guy myself (obviously). I couldn't find a big enough crescent wrench for a fair price, so I decided to just make the proper tool. And they are much easier to use than a big ol crescent wrench. No adjusting for size, no slip, no busted knuckles ;)

All of my OPCs have the driveside cone with the three notches in it... Works really well with the lockring spanner in my box. I guess older BBs take the 43mm nut?

Bicycle808 said:
All of my OPCs have the driveside cone with the three notches in it... Works really well with the lockring spanner in my box. I guess older BBs take the 43mm nut?

Not necessarily older, just different. The '53 CWC frame I had used the nut with the three cones you mentioned, but all of the (50's-60's) Schwinn's and Monark's I've worked on use the 43mm nut.

I happened to find myself in an Outlet Mall last weekend, and wandered into a Direct Tools factory outlet store, where I found these:

wrenches.jpg

As you can see, they open to 1 1/4" and 2", respectively. There was a version in between, but I figured these two would cover me. I too had been looking for a better tool for this job that was inexpensive. I think these were $11 and $18, then they had a scratch-off ticket that got me an additional 25% off.

Unfortunately, they don't appear to list hand tools on their website, but if you need to find a store, here is what they show for locations:

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/stores

Sears.com also carries the Black Rhino brand, although a quick search did not offer up these exact wrenches, they may be able to get them.

Not perfect, but better than vice grips or a pipe wrench.

??? Did I miss something? It might have been a good idea to have shared that with the rest of us in your thread

detroiter60 said:
??? Did I miss something? It might have been a good idea to have shared that with the rest of us in your thread

He linked to his ad here in the ratrodbikes "for sale" section... saving himself some of those vicious ebay fees, which makes good bizniz sense... It's upthread a bit.

Back