Painting Gun

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could those of you who use a paint gun to paint the bikes give me some recommendations? I have NO clue what/where to buy. What is a good cost? I have a compressor already.

Thanks for the help in advance.

An inexpensive set-up can be found at good local auto part stores like NAPA, Carquest, etc. I bought a package with a Primer Gun, Paint gun, and a touch up gun for just under $100. I have been using it regularly for a few years now with good results. I do have a much more expensive gun that I use occasionally, but as a hobbyist you are never going to notice the difference. Also be sure to get an HVLP gun, very little to no overspray. I am not a proffesional painter, but have done several Gas Pumps, auto parts, and bicycles to vouch for these inexpensive guns.

well.....i dont paint for a living(anymore) but i use a cheap harbor freight hvlp gun for my priming and painting on my cars and bikes.theyre cheap function well and can spray primers,single stage,base and clears with out problems. the only thing id recommend is if you do get one ditch the little filter that come with it they are trash! you might have to play with the air pressure to get your materials to lay down better but its no biggie(my last one you have to crank it up a bit but everything lays down smooth as heck)
they go for around $40 if youre going to be doing just bikes id get the mini detail gun(dont really need a full size for bikes anyway) and i think you can pick them up for around $20 now
if you get a small gun your going to want something with a 1.0 needle full size youll want a 1.3 or 1.4 for an all around paint gun
heres a link to them.......
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=43430
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=46719
some may say theyll never work as well as a high end sata or sharpe but ive had my paint come out better that most of those(might have been the painter knowing and not knowing how to set them up right and use it better :wink: )
one word of advice though....if you are going to start using paints(catalyzed aka 2 part or 2stage) get a good respirator! almost all the paints now have isocyanates in them and can seriously hurt you or even kill you over time

Back