painting fenders??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought these mini fenders from BikeWorldUSA and was wondering if they were paint-able? i tried to get the stock ones painted and the guy who is painting the bike for me said they could not be painted since they were zinc dipped. The ones I bought from BikeWorld are steel with chrome plating so hopefully they can be? Any thoughts?

I painted those same fenders myself. Just roughed them up, primered and painted.

13.JPG

22.jpg

appreciate the replies and your result looks great but the guy is actually finished the bike and he was using a custom paint to match the color of the car the bike is for ('65 shelby cobra, blue with silver racing stripes). he won't paint the fenders himself because he insists they need extra work done to them to be painted and any attempt i make at duplicating the color with spraypaint will probably end up being the wrong color. the frame is blue up top and silver on the bottom near the bottom bracket. i originally wanted an all blue frame, fork, and fenders with silver racing stripes on the blue fenders to match the car. after he told me he couldn'y paint the fenders i decided to go with a blue and silver frame to at least incorporate the silver in there somewhere. now i think my only option is to possibly use pinstriping tape and put blue and silver pinstripes on the chrome of the fenders. or just leave them chrome and deal with not having stripes, but of course the stripes is really what makes a cobra a cobra. any ideas?

your painter is right....they will need alot of work to get the paint to stick
theyd need media blasted,etch primed,sealed and then painted(and they may need straightening depending on how much of a perfectionist you/he are.
you can tape off the areas that you want to stay chrome with 3-4 layers of duct tape and media blast it off then paint just those areas.....paint and chrome dont play to well togeather

ya know i actually said the heck with it and kept it the way it was and couldn't be happier. he did a great job with the paint and the chrome fenders look fine the way they are. i was a little worried it wouldn't come out the way i wanted but now i have no regrets. trying to get some pics up tonight to see what you guys think. thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back