Paint Stripper Warning!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than the obvious damage it does to us and the universe..
as a journeyman painter I would stear very clear of it
when you can.It is highly toxic..

as well a Warning.
If you are using a Paint Stripper..and you have
Propane heaters present,The combonation of the Stripper
and The Propane heater / burn off will produce a Poisonous
gas VERY SIMMILAR to "Mustard Gas"

This is NO JOKE!!!
I was a Safety Rep for a large Company and I dealt directly
with a lot of people from Workers Comp.

If you can at all avoid Caustic Strippers please do so..

I like yaa'll and I want to pick your Brains for many years to come.
so,don't fry them before I can soak you for your Knowledge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not too bad. I've used aircraft paint stripper on my car and it worked great. I just laid an old tarp on the ground and used a cheap old brush to apply it on the body parts. Just wear 2 layers of latex gloves(long exposure will start eating through them so you'll go through at least a few pairs), and of course wear a mask. When cleaning off the stripper, don't rinse with water, use rags to wipe the metal clean, then dispose of the rags properly. Then you should be good to clean up the surface like any other bare metal. It's a lot easier and quicker than using a drill with a stripping wheel which is the next best alternative.

Clothespin "n" said:
other than the obvious damage it does to us and the universe..
as a journeyman painter I would stear very clear of it
when you can.It is highly toxic.

I agree. I used the spray on stripper for my first build, and the stuff made feel dizzy, sick, and it burns the heck fire outta ya. And it didn't even get all the paint off. Even wearing the proper safety equipment didn't help. I will stick to sandblasting from now on.

As an ex-pilot I actually used Aircraft Remover on of all things an aircraft. Oh you haven't lived till you have stripped paint off of an airplane! It starts with the stripper, then the scraping, then powerwashing, then wiping it all down with MEK which in itself is an unbelievably nasty Chemical. When done I had a very naked all aluminum airplane to stare at. Then we painted it with AwlGrip once again a nasty evil noxious paint... Don't cry for me, I'm already dead. :shock:

It's a lot easier and quicker than using a drill with a stripping wheel which is the next best alternative.

thats why i use a 3" pnumatic grinder with scotch brite roloc discs faster cleaner and dont have to worry about cleaning a mess(off the floor or the dog or kid). ive used aircraft stripper before when i was stripping my 65 c10 it took off very little and when i stripped my caddi it was 80 grit on a d.a. all the way!
btw clothespin'n auto painter or house? body grunt myself

Back