Paint Colors

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see alot of cool colors of peoples bikes. Where are you finding that variety of rattle can paint? Or are most using guns? Is there one brand you should chose over another?

As usual, thanks for the help!

Ron
Albuquerque, NM

ACE HARDWARE new line of spray paint from spain "MONTANA" for artists and graffiti, I've used it on plastic interior parts of my Scion XB and it sprays and sticks great, they even tried it on plexi and they had to scrape it off. Great colors better than krylon and rustoleum, and they have around 12+ different tips for spraying.

i like "krylon", sorta levels itself so it looks real smooth for minimal painting. it does however take a while to cure completely, it dries to the touch pretty quick, but you could be still be leaving fingerprints in the paint up to a week after painting if the paint is too thick.

Art supply stores work also like Michaels Art supply, here on the west coat

I agree with Cyrus. My local ACE Hardware has a much bigger and diverse selection of spray paint than the nearby big box stores. Plus, they have their own brand of spray enamel which is inexpensive yet durable and good quality.

I like enamel because it seems less likely to chip than lacquer-based paint. Plus, I "bake" the enamel paint by putting the painted parts in my car and parking in the sun. I used an oven thermometer to determine that the inside temp of my car reached 150 degrees with the windows rolled up (outside temp was 104). After letting it bake in the car for two days, the paint was rock hard and chip resistant. I have a frame, two fenders and a chain guard baking in my car right now. I rode my bike to work, so my car is sitting in my sunny driveway. Outside temp today is 96 degrees. If you go this route, try to prop up the parts on a milk crate or a cardboard box in order to prevent them from touching and sticking to your car's upholstery.

I "bake" the enamel paint by putting the painted parts in my car and parking in the sun.

That's a good idea. Do you have any trouble with the vapors penetrating the automotive fabric so that the inside of the car still smells like fresh paint a week later?

Do you have any trouble with the vapors penetrating the automotive fabric so that the inside of the car still smells like fresh paint a week later?

Nope. Driving around with the windows down takes care of it. The smell lingers for a couple days, but isn't permanent.

Back