Paint cleanup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pre-war girls bike with paint that I would like to preserve. It has some light surface rust here and there where there are scratches and overall dinginess. Any suggestions from the DIY experts to help with a paint refreshing that will not hurt the original paint job?

28e9b816601bbf7efca009d88e45f663.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to use an auto wax called "Ice". It comes in a spray bottle and when it dries it stays clear, so scratches get hid instead of standing out as reg wax turns white.

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I have the same rims. Do you know anything about them?

I don't, sorry. I am pretty novice to all of this. Still in a learning phase. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try diet coke, vinegar, evaporust, or CLR on the rusted spots. It will neutralize the rust and hopefully not harm the paint. Work slow and test it out. Get the rust neutralized to bare metal and wax heavily.

I like 3M imperial hand glaze, but any restorative paint glaze will work, mothers & meguiars both make good ones. Wax well after cleaned up to protect the bare metal.

Depends on how far you want to disassemble. Alum foil and coke on chrome works too.

Back