Paint aluminum...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted about this In my build thread, but I figured it would be seen more here. So I have an aluminum frame that I sanded down and painted in a faux patina type style. I used two color primers, then a top layer of blue. Sanded down and through in some areas, then used a whole can of clear. Well, it looked pretty dope, but it is chipping very easily just from moving around in the back of my truck. Going to have to re-do it. Is there a better product for aluminum, or should I ditch the idea and maybe powder coat it or go bare metal.. (Bare metal will clash with the parts I ordered for it tho :(

are you using rattlecans or a paint gun. I use duplicolor paint shop system. Its a lacquer paint that very durable. and cheap.

Did you remember to use a good degreaser before painting? Need to make sure it is nice and clean before painting.

Yeah I wiped it down with paint thinner before hand. I guess I just didn't use a paint that was good for aluminum.. Stupid mistake I overlooked..

I have notice some paints specify on the can "not for aluminum".
Better to whip down with lacquer thinner. I was once told but not sure how true it is that paint thinner or any thing based on pine spirits leaves a slight oily residue behind.

Sand the bare aluminum with a 220-240 grit and (like Luke said) use some etching primer. It should stick!

Back