Paint aluminum rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a set of silver 3 spd electra wheels. I want them black. What's the best option? I guess they are anodized to prevent corrosion and oxidation. Will paint hold up? powder coat?
I work with aluminum rails sometimes and they are usually acid washed and painted. I've heard from more than one supplier they have had issues with powder coating on aluminum rails.

Are you going to powder coat?

Paint and rim brakes never work out well.

Otherwise, scuff and clean them, primer then paint.

I painted some aluminum rims for my Felt MP. I had my local powdercoater shoot them with some really nice quality powder first. That would be fine on it's own but I wanted a very specific color match to the army green so I ended up using the powdercoat as a very durable primer for my final color which was a sprayed on lacquer.

I also painted the hubs. For those, I cleaned them with lacquer thinner, scuffed with a scotch-brite, cleaned them again with a wipe down of thinner and then sprayed with etching primer before the color coats.They are holding up really well. Pics:

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

Regards,

I don't think you need etching primer, just a flat or regular primer. Yes you can paint over flat colors without sanding, but gloss must be lightly scuffed for it to stick. what I am saying is you have scuff for each layer gloss paint you put on.

I'm going with black etching primer and satin black urethane paint. Hopefully paint the fenders and chainguard at the same time.

Back