Oxalic Acid-What do you use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Normally I just use an SOS pad or a brillo pad to do most of my cleaning.. But I've seen a few of the before and after pictures of frames and fenders and especially chrome after using Oxalic Acid and i'd like to try it. Wood bleach right? What brand works the best and where should I get it? Online or check my local Home Depot?

Brillo pads are too aggressive for damaged chrome, in my opinion.

Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to carry wood bleach, from what I have seen. Locally I get it at Ace Hardware, but you might find it at a smaller hardware or paint store in your area. The brand I use is Savogran. Look for this:

11221.jpg

You might also check marine/boat shops for this product:

HMC-10503.JPG

I believe I used two heaping tablespoons per gallon of water. The first container pictured should be $7-$9 and should make 5-10 gallons at least.

Checked Home Depot but they don't have wood bleach.. Lowes might, I haven't checked yet. Going to Ace Hardware tomorrow to see if they have any.
Although today I found an old can of "Barkeeper's Friend" that has oxalic acid.. for cleaning countertops, copper, stainless steel, brass, porcelain.. stuff like that. It doesn't have any instructions about dissolving it in water, you're supposed to just add enough water to make a paste and scrub it.. but i got it dissolved and have my old schwinn Hornet chainguard soaking in it so i'll see how that works.

Can someone post what are the steps after you use the OA on parts, like washing and cleaning properly to prevent flash rusting.

I believe you can buy pure OA crystals on ebay. I buy mine from a local jewelers supply store.

If you you got to Home Depot or Lowes they carry a lot of the ZEP brand cleaning products. ZEP has a liquid deck and fence cleaner that comes in a one gallon jug, it contains Oxalic Acid. I have used this with good results, I would say the same has the powder.

Forrest

I think I am going to try this stuff on my Spaceliner BO7 bike.

Doesn't really appear to matter, from what I have seen, but usually at least overnight. It doesn't work much quicker than that, but leaving it in longer hasn't seemed to hurt anything of mine yet.

This was left in for a couple days:

ox1.jpg

ox2.jpg

Back