Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it's in great shape, especially since Middlemore went out of business in 1991. Now I just have to decide what to put it on. I think it will go on my klunker project.

Re: After so much work!!! I traded up.

I actualy have that same pair you have in that picture but its not that size. its one piece crank size. thems also a great peddle

That sure is a nice bike, might miss the write up on the constant upgrading on the DiamondBack, but I think you did the right thing.
But if you found an extra $55 you would consider buying back the Diamond Back and having them both I bet! :lol:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
That sure is a nice bike, might miss the write up on the constant upgrading on the DiamondBack, but I think you did the right thing.
But if you found an extra $55 you would consider buying back the Diamond Back and having them both I bet! :lol:

Luke.
Oh yeah I would, that Diamondback rode great! I kinda miss it but this new one rocks!

Oh I forgot. i know what it needs. its missing something!!! Whitewalls. youll love the ride even more aswell. Yeah sure its a mountain bike but still, rocking whitewalls is ....... Theres also these peddles my bike has. I got mine basiclt free because it needed new rims and stuff.

Take a look at this with whitewalls! you should do the same! lol

Hsean said:
Oh I forgot. i know what it needs. its missing something!!! Whitewalls. youll love the ride even more aswell. Yeah sure its a mountain bike but still, rocking whitewalls is ****. Theres also these peddles my bike has. I got mine basiclt free because it needed new rims and stuff.

Take a look at this with whitewalls! you should do the same! lol

Funny you mention whitewalls I was just looking at some all creme 26 x 2.125 tires the other day wondering how it'd look. I know smooth tires completely change the way it rides but this one I think I might keep at least a semi knobby tire on just for the trails.

Can dso what I did. eventualy get a second wheelset. one for onroad and one for offroad. Im to cheap to buy em so I trade around lol

Hsean said:
Can dso what I did. eventualy get a second wheelset. one for onroad and one for offroad. Im to cheap to buy em so I trade around lol
I would but with the disk brakes they are expensive as heck unless you find them on a bike already and then I leave them on the bike. I'll probably just go for a smooth tread tire like I had on the Diamondback, they are good enough for the trails around here and roll out smooth as butter on the street. Indiana is pretty flat and the trails have been ridden and are pretty smooth and with 21 gears I can certainly tackle about anything around here with it.

I saw this posted on my local Craigslist as "2 child size bikes for sale. 5.00 each and 1 adult bike for sale 20.00" blah blah blah. Well I figured for $5 the mag wheels alone are worth it so I called and got it for $10 delivered to my door. It looks like no other GT I have ever seen so I am wondering if this is some kid's failed creation from back in the day or was it a real low end GT or whatever it is. I have seen most GT frames always have their logo stamped into the frame and this one doesn't, most GT's have a straight bar top tube, this is a humpback frame, the serial looks like no GT I have ever seen, and I get a general "Cheap vibe" from it. The paint looks original and the decals look right for an early GT and it has some nice components from back in the day but I still think I did okay for $10.

This is the picture from the Craigslist add

And this is how it showed up at my door.

Closer look at the frame

Decent GT seat

No stampings on the fork

oldschool Dia-compe MX brakes

This dropout has me thrown for a loop, never seen one like it so I don't know who made it

Dia-compe MX levers

Bars are not stamped and neither is the stem

Serial doesn't look GT

This is the bottom of the top tube where it joins to the seat tube, it's not even welded... :oops:

No Fear stickers are kinda cool

I'm kinda thinking of hanging the frame up for a later project. A little paint and this frame could make a cool low rider. Frame is just giving me that low rider / stretch cruiser vibe.

Yeah, real classic curves for that full size cruiser look in a mini size. Head tube angle is a bit steep for a long fork. Cut and re-weld that?

The baby blue sure doesn't help visualizing the potential.

Found this ladies Schwinn World today at the local scrap yard for $7 so I got it to flip. I threw some better tires on it I had laying around, touched up the true on the rear wheel, added a seat, freed up the rear gear cable with a bit of oil, and gave it a good cleaning and tune up as well as got a bit of surface rust off the wheels with some copper wool. Other than that it was in GREAT condition. Has "72" stamped into a few of the frame lugs so I think it's a '72. I will check the serial # tomorrow when there's more light to be sure.

the_undecider said:
Definitely a resticker of a department store bike. Stamped steel dropouts are a dead giveaway aside from the frame design. Looks like some decent parts were hung on it, so for $10, you did well.

Yep, I already got it broken down, crank swapped which I found the threads that hold the sprocket on were stripped off and the sprocket was loose. I threw a pair of spoke wheels with coaster brake on it and I'm going to swap the bars and stem tomorrow. Ripped off the GT seat, brake handles, cables, and calipers, rims, and anything else that was good. I am got it built up as a junker bike right now. I have my eye on a REAL GT frame a buddy of mine has so I might try to wheel and deal my way into it since I have all the parts.

Put it through the ringer today and it survived! (My 26 inch wheel hit on the washing machine so had to roll on 20's) I did keep those white color tires though, they will look nice on those GT mags.

Back