Outlaw cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started allready a few years ago when I saw the Kahaki Baron frame and fell in love with it. But I'm not the one buying stuff so I took some paper and some measurements that I borrowed from some Ruff cycles and started scribbling some lines on the paper.

The drawing was done last winter.

In spring 2014 I bought two different size squarepipes. I bent the larger pipe simply by parking my car on the end of the pipe and then carefully bent the it against it. Moving the car some more over it if necessary. I bent several different bends on one long tube. Then cut them up later.

After this I fitted them together according to my drawing.

In the late autumn I then took the narrower square tubes and spotwelded two similarlength tubes by their corners to each others and bent them the same way as the previous.

The upper bends were welded in december when I finally afforded to buy the Quick Brick tires and 144 spoke wheels.

Still got to weld a pair of triangles under the sadle. (White paper pattern)

Here's a mockup of the mainframe with wheels.

More to come as soon as I get more done.

Now,first off, I applaud the fact that you are building a frame. BUT I hope you got permission from Kamilos or Kahaki to build a Baron frame.

Either that, or there's a HUGE coincidence(Like when PG BIKES had a frame 99.9% the same as a Kamilos rendering. At least they changed it along with the company name. Cough, Cough).
He's a good guy and I'd really hate to see him have something stolen. BTW, that's Badmullers bike(before he finished it) who is a Kahaki distributor and has a thread here about that very bike years ago.

Well, as you probably allready read in my first post I'm familiar with the Kahaki's Baron and Kamilos Kuztom Kreationz.
http://kamiloskuztomkreationz.blogspot.fi/
I liked the idea in using square tubes for a frame. And the measurements from the Ruff cycles helped me to design a frame suitable for myself.

Mine is very much similar to the Baron yet again different in the means of measurements and final details not yet finished.
It is not a total ripoff.

Reason I build this is that I want to make things myself for myself. Not for producing lots for the market.. So in any case I will never be a competition for Kahaki nor Ruff.

Just the same way as I'm building my own Outlaw Porsche 356 Pre-A replicafrom scratch because I would never afford a real one in my lifetime. (But that's an other story..)

I get that but look at what I was talking about. The dimensions are changed(I'm pretty sure they would match with a certain Ruff frame that will not be mentioned.) from the original Kamil rendering.
222qwe.jpg

Just saying it's great to pay homage to a builder, but make it your own. Base it off of it, but don't copy the lines 99% and change 1 little thing. Make it your own, not just a copy.
Not trying to be a jerk and it's great that you name who's frame you're copying, BUT change it to something thats not a copy(I get that you changed the dimensions but the lines are the same). If you can build someone else's design, you can make one that is truly your own. Why not try?

I also hear what you say. I've been taught by time that one should not criticize an unfinished job. As you see, the frame is not yet done... The drawing in the first post is not even valid anymore as the shape have changed even from that one.
I'm usually working from some nice design I like and making my own touch to it. I prefer a scratchbuilt before buying a dime a dozen frame and bolt on off the shelf parts to it...
I'm not a metalshaper or designer for profession. Just like to do work with my hands on my freetime for my own fun. Not even sure if this bicycle will work as I hope yet...
So, I feel sad if I stepped on someones toes just for making me a bicycle that looks too much like some excisting model...

Last edited:
Back