(ORBO) Mesa Büggie : BACK40 Old and New = Rat-isfaction! pg 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seat post and bars, then all you have to do is find the finished line?
Going to do a little more with the frame and fork. Use either a clear coat or linseed oil or something to keep it rust-ified. But yeah, I feel good about everything else.

Looks cool. Great idea using the skinnier tire in the back for more speed....+ u suck riding around in a t-shirt in January...:D

AZ is nice in the winter. I stayed out there with my brother back in '87 for a while.

I think the stagger looks good. Like a big BMXer.

+1 on the u suck riding around in a t-shirt in January. Supposed to get blizzard here Tuesday...
images

Haha Chad and HF! Yeah, this T-shirt stuff in dead of winter is really hard to get used to...?...NOT! Hoping to get up to the mountains down here, where they have had record snowfalls thanks to El Niño, and do some downhill skiing this week. Just so I don't forget what winter is like! :wink1:

A little history.....using a site set up by one of our members, schwinncruisers.com, I believe my Mesa Büggie was originally a Chicago made, Schwinn D-12 model branded and sold by Our Own Hardware (the logo on the head badge). Here's what it looked like in the 1950 catalog.....
1950_schwinn_d_12.jpg

Haha Chad and HF! Yeah, this T-shirt stuff in dead of winter is really hard to get used to...?...NOT! Hoping to get up to the mountains down here, where they have had record snowfalls thanks to El Niño, and do some downhill skiing this week. Just so I don't forget what winter is like! :wink1:
I don't want to jinx the weather here in Illinois.... but I haven't shoveled any snow since November....I like it. It kinda freaks me out, global warming and all, but this one benefit is a beautiful thing.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I don't want to jinx the weather here in Illinois.... but I haven't shoveled any snow since November....I like it. It kinda freaks me out, global warming and all, but this one benefit is a beautiful thing.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...
I don't want to jinx you either, but the map I've seen for the next couple days doesn't look good.

I don't want to jinx you either, but the map I've seen for the next couple days doesn't look good.
Haha Brother, we ain't gonna get hit. I'm 60 miles south of Chicago, in a little valley. Weather blows around us all the time. Hey @OddJob you know what they say...
Schwinn it, to win it!

Carl.

Mesa Büggie2.jpg
What's better than living at 45 degrees latitude? How 'bout hunting for bars for the Mesa Büggie at Bob's Used Cycle boneyard in 45 degrees fahrenheit sunshine for 45 minutes in Phoenix?
IMG_20160202_103433.jpg

...ahhhh, there they are!

IMG_20160202_103445.jpg

Actually, I found 3 candidates out there....and barely scratched the surface! So, it's time to play the "Imelda Bar-cos Voting Game"....:grin:

For those of you who weren't involved in RRB BO-10 this summer, @kingfish254 played around with so many different bars for his winning bike build that we were starting to wonder about his "bar fetish" ! :21:

So, here is the sequel to that episode. Please help me pick from these three very similar (all would work) motocross / heavy duty off-road machine bars. Bad ... black, Cool guy chrome, or Red Mountain red....voting is now open! But hurry, I gotta get on this bike and ride it!!
IMG_20160202_115441.jpg

PS, I would be open to selling the two I don't select so if you are interested drop me a line in the "conversation" box and let me know! Also, I wouldn't mind "mining" for some more while I'm down here and this ORBO is still on....it's a venerable gold mine of moto-x, atv, and other bars!

Here's a shot of the bike again at the top of this post for reference.....

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you for input! I guess we could call this the Klunker Caucus .....the votes are very close. After trying them both up next to the bike, I am going with the black ones. And, the Dr has the Rx....oil, grips, go! Those red ones are really sweet, even have an the old Answer logo, and that faded red...and the chrome ones are like new.

Today is "preservation day" at the ol' corral. This may look to the untrained eye like two charcoal grill stands sitting outside a condo in Mesa, AZ. Things are not always as they appear, young grasshopper.

A neighbor saw me outside working on the bike, so he went back to his condo and dropped off a couple tires, suspension fork, bar with brakes and shifters, and bag with misc parts. He's moving, figured I could use what I want and dispose of the rest.

IMG_20160203_122833.jpg

And the paint booth behind the dumpster wall. Decided to use a Duplicolor Clear Coat over everything to preserve the natural rust and patina. Heading out for the second coat soon.

IMG_20160203_122911.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160203_122931.jpg
    IMG_20160203_122931.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 208
Went up to South Mountain for a real off-road test ride and to capture some pics on this beautiful , cool , sunny day. The bike rides great! Rolls over rocks, sand, loose granite, like it wasn't even there. I even managed the climbs pretty well on my 46 x 18 drivetrain and old knees. I am very pleased with the final results!

So, here it is: Mesa Büggie, aka My Half-Fats Klunker build. Enjoy the ride and...
Rat on!

Last edited:
Back