Orange Crate Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not usually one for doing build threads to be honest. I usually set off on a project and rattle through it until the end then think 'I should've taken photos as I went along!' So this time I will!
I started with this rather generic and frankly dull Apollo Retro cruiser I got off my brother. I liked the cantilever frame but the rest was rather 'meh'!
So I decided to build it into a nice runaround with a bit of carrying capacity for trips to the shops / post office etc. I started by pulling it apart and grinding off the cable stays for the caliper brakes it had accross the top tube, filling and sanding and attempting to neaten up some of the 'struck by lightning' welds on the frame.
1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Originally I had hoped to fit something more interesting in the fork department such as a beehive but funding dried in the pre christmas period as it tends to so I turned to a 1960's raleigh that i had laying about and robbed it of its front chrome rack. The rack was for a 20 inch bike and as this is a 26inch and 26ich Fat Franks at that too it'd have to be elongated. The legs were cut and slotted into steel tube and re-welded at the right length.
4.jpg

The chainring got 'skipped' the raleigh also donated its rather funky chainguard which was modded slightly to fit and painted.
5.jpg

7.jpg

The whole frame was rattlecan painted in a Peugeot Car blue with Ivory white accents.
9.jpg

8.jpg

The forks were accented too and today I began reassembly of the bottom bracket and front end
10.jpg

The cargo box is an old American Orange crate (hence the name... no Schwinn musclebike connection here :D ) which I shortened to fit and mounted an old bottle opener on the front. The headlight is LED fitted and just sits under the box... (which I've yet to figure out how to attach).
6.jpg

12.jpg

And thats it as of tonight... still to sort the bars... attach my new number plate to the back
13.jpg

and await the arrival of a Bendix Redstripe from Ratfink1962 which will be laced into the back rim and fired on!
I'll stick more pics up as i do more if anyone is interested :D

KJV said:
looking good. 8)
think that number plate would look cool
ivory with blue lettering.
:idea: :mrgreen:

100% agreed one the number plate colors. great idea!!!!

The coaster hub arrived from Ratfink on xmas eve mmorning and I shot around to my local bike shop where my mate Tony laced the wheel from scratch in 12 mins and had it trued in about another 5 mins...!
15.jpg

All that remains now is making a bracket under the box to clamp to the front rack, fit the LED torch to the front light bucket, some decent pedals and some nice grips... nearly there...
14.jpg

Although the chainguard is crying out for some kind of graphic...

Hey Boris!! How you doing Mate??
Still having those Fray Bentos pies? :lol:
I have a co-worker here, Mrs. Jones, she´s from FB, we call her "Iron Lady", guess from where her family is from.
Cheers!!!

Swapped out the modern ally headset for a vintage raleigh chromed one today and mocked up a speedo from an 80's french made one i had. I couldn't find a nice vintage one with the same physical layout as the face on my Huret one so I cobbled this together using some of the layout from a Western Flyer model photo i found on google! About an hour tinkering in Illustrator and some careful cutting and sticking...
16.jpg

Bodge Deep said:
Swapped out the modern ally headset for a vintage raleigh chromed one today and mocked up a speedo from an 80's french made one i had. I couldn't find a nice vintage one with the same physical layout as the face on my Huret one so I cobbled this together using some of the layout from a Western Flyer model photo i found on google! About an hour tinkering in Illustrator and some careful cutting and sticking...
16.jpg
Cool work on the speedo mate! Nice touch!

Gdcast said:
Hey Boris!! How you doing Mate??
Still having those Fray Bentos pies? :lol:
I have a co-worker here, Mrs. Jones, she´s from FB, we call her "Iron Lady", guess from where her family is from.
Cheers!!!
Yep! Still lovin the pies!! :D Hmmm, Mrs Jones! I guess this ladys not for turning :oops:

Cheers Boris it looks okay... although I buggered the cable before i manage to get it working properly so now have to find a new one dammit! :x
Turned my attention to the box.
Decorated with old movie adverts and the 'tank hole' on the frame will get a sign for a drive in movie theatre.
19.jpg

I always fancied going to a drive-in but we don't have any in the UK.
20.jpg

When I go to car shows with the Chevy I usually have the speakers set up next to the car so the bike should compliment it nicely
18.jpg

21.jpg

:D Yep, bet they will look great together, Really good job!
Would you have a fancy coming over to Redcar (Vw Show, Volkspower)first weekend in July I think? They are hoping to have a bicycle show this year, Its a great little show and maybe your car could compliment your bike :D !

Sounds cool. I think it was on my brothers 'to do' list we'll have to get there! :D

Back