Opinions taken~Bars Changed, WDYT??? 12/21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know Joe, when i look at it i can see some touring bars that come straight back, like something off an old rod brake bike. maybe im biased though .. at 250# my gut has something against putting the words boardtrack and comfortable in the same sentence :lol:

i beg to differ if the frame is long enough drops can be done and be comfortable. just not regular bars that come back towards you because they get into your knees. i like to use MTB riser bars fliped and narrowed personally on bikes that will be ridden more than just for shows. again nothing aganst those running drops that pull back heck i ran them on the galt town hooligan. but also as a rule for myself (and you have to take this with a grain of salt) on my bikes i try to keep all parts of the bike below the top of the stem on boardtrack style bikes.

This was my first choice for looks and comfort, but the bike dimensions of older bikes were for rather short people - or at least short knee to feet measurements. The fact that the bars came straight back would have worked if they could have been wide enough, but i just didn't have a set like this and I am not sure they make them wide enough. All the measurements of the bars - and there are almost an infinite number of combinations of X,Y,and Z axis to make these - would have be almost perfect. I guess if I wanted to I could try to make a set or have them made. How do they get the "bump" into the middle of the bars? Some sort of expander? and then how do they get the bends into it so that both sides are symmetric? I guess I should research it. I haven't sat on this one yet as it was 2 AM when I took the pictures and I was beat. I need to test the ergonomics and see if these are the looks only bars!

Thanks for all the input. Rarely will i struggle with an element of a build, but then again I have never married this old and new of stuff before.

Joe

CCR said:
i dont know Joe, when i look at it i can see some touring bars that come straight back, like something off an old rod brake bike. maybe im biased though .. at 250# my gut has something against putting the words boardtrack and comfortable in the same sentence :lol:

I think some newer style bars would work ones that are designed to be flipped. Soma Fab as a great selection of the bars. http://www.somafab.com/bars.html

Bars to try
Soma 3spd- similar to Nitto Mustache, Origin 8 Tiki
Soma Noah's Arc
Soma June Bug- Similar to MtB Dirt Drops
Soma Clarence Bar- similar to One one Mary, Origin 8 Spacebar

i would like to know how the bars got flared out too, just guessing id say they made the left and right sides seperate , and flared out the inside/center part and then fused them together. thats the easiest way i can imagine anyway.

The basic problem is that most cruisers are made to fit smaller people. So they look good with the seat all the way down, but if you're taller and actually ride very much, you'll have the seat way up, and may need some funky handlebars as well, and the combination just doesn't look good. The ideal solution would be bigger frame bike with about 30" tires to maintain the sense of scale, but I don't think I've really seen anything like this. (Although Coker did have their "Monster Cruiser" with 36" tires, and Hunter Cycles does make a custom cruiser-style frame for 29'ers). Caloi made a large-frame cruiser, but I've never seen a used one turn up- it would be cool rat-rodded.

Joe-

Just my opinion, since you asked, would be to stay with the old boardtrack bars, either flipped or tourist style. They have that smooth flowing rounded curve and look good either way.

The other set, they just seem out of place on that bike, but if you love the stem, I think short, nearly straight "fixie" type bars, maybe in gloss black, would work on it. Either with the Y stem or a conventional stem, I'd probably go with a 10-speed style one that pushes the bars further forward.

The alternative to all that is a super nice restored set of the originals, early upright tourist bars with a clamp-on crossbrace, complete with the light and horn and a foxtail. :) That bike is gorgeous, it deserves the best you can find for it, whatever your choice.

Happy Holidays

--Rob!

Back