Opinions on NOS Vintage Beach Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has a bike i am interested in and i want your advice. I have only seen the bike once briefly but its a 1981 model Murray or possibly Huffy red beach cruiser with the fat whitewalls and large fenders. I do remember the handles were black which i do not like.

Anyway the bike is brand new and never ridden. Kept indoors i assume its in mint cond. He offered it to me awhile back for 50.00 but i can probably get it for 40 or 45. Should i jump in and buy it? Is there a resale potential? I have written here before that selling a bike in my area for over 20.00 is near impossible and i dont think i want to keep it.

If it is an really new condition for an early 80's Murray or Huffy it would be worth what he is asking and more, I don't know if they were sold at this price but I have seen the early 80's Murray bikes in great condition ask for over $150 since they had a cool paint scheme on them which I would get if I ever had that kind of cash around.

I put big apes .. and rear racks.. fat tires on them.. but I keep them and ride them... thats a good price that bike
complete.. and if you dont spend money on it.. you could maybe (depends area) get 75 - 100 for it.
the last old huffy I did up .. 75 for a nice orig bike... pulled the fenders.. and chain guard.. put a nice seat on it 29 bucks.
big apes about 40 after shipping nice wood rear rack 80 after shipping.. 70 for new set of wheels and 35 in tires and tubes
so all told.. I cant sell the bike for the 329 I spent putting it together like i wanted but I dont resale them.
if you flip them .. spend no money on them... or as little as possibe.
car089.jpg

wheelhorseman,

consider what your potential buyers think when they read your ad.

3 Small bikes 10.00 and you take them all....DO NOT CALL ME UNTIL YOU LOOK AT A MAP TO SEE WHERE THEY ARE.

to me a negative, not sure I'd want to do a deal with anyone who displays this "do not" attitude even before I can call you.

blue bike good cond.....red 16 in. needs tubes....nice blue bike needs front wheel....NO EMAILS WILL NOT HOLD.....864 348 3518

the "good cond blue bike" I find at garage sales for $2-3.00 - kids grow out of them - kids get New bikes for Christmas, not used.

"needs tubes" - would cost more than buying a better bike at a garage sale.

"needs front wheel - where is the average housewife going to get a new wheel?

"no email, will not hold" another negative to the average person looking for a purchase without possible problems.

Sales 101 - eliminate anything even remotely negative in your presentation.

My ad would have been short and sweet. "3 small kids bikes - sold as is -- $10.00 for all 3, or make me an offer". Give me a call, xxx-xxx-xxxx to come by and see them.

Think about it. Just my .02.

Back