Opinions on a Bowden Spacelander conversion kit?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Enthusiasts,

I was thinking about making a Bowden Spaceander shell conversion kit. I would like to hear some opinions since this hasn't been done before quite like this.

Bowden Spacelander was an unusual design. Not very attractive, but kinda cool. More of a novelty of history than anything else. Originals have collector value, as do the the repops made in the 80s. I don't think one made by me would be a collector item, but some enthusiasts might get a kick out of it.

Cost would be around $1000 plus the donor bike. I would need to sell 6 to pay for the materials. My time would be donated as I doubt I'll sell more than that. The shell would have a left and right side made of plastic/fiberglass. Chrome/metal parts on the original would be plastic in this case. I'm still thinking about how to change the rear wheel. Possibly the two halves have to be unbolted to allow maintenance access.

The donor bike would be a current/in production department store beach cruiser. The Spacelander shell's design would be altered slightly (fatter top tube) to wrap around the donor bike. The donor bike's seat stays would need to be cut and a replacement set of seat stays (included) would need to be welded on. It would come with a (most likely) non painted body, body parts like light pods, new seat stays. Assembled ones might be available but I would have to base that on the one I'm building for myself.

It's a lot of work but worth it if I can sell enough to break even. My background is in prototyping/product development, so it definitely would be fun for me. I work at a rapid prototyping studio, so all the materials and equipment are accessible to me. Turn around time would be about 3-4 months after the CAD model is completed.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Insults? Thanks for reading - Rob

You should take a look at @The Renaissance Man 's Drag King build to see the ladies spaceliner tank he made.

You should take a look at @The Renaissance Man 's Drag King build to see the ladies spaceliner tank he made.

Hi Kingfish. I've seen the tank. Excellent work! It looks so factory, I'm sure some collectors would think it was a rare option. Makes me want to buy a girls bike just to use it!

Wonder if it will fit the Schwinn Exercise bike?:39:

Back