Opinion on Tire Size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does this skinny tire look too small for the rear fork? The tire isn't fully aired but it's a 26x1-3/8. The frame is upside on the stand.
epavypy3.jpg

I LIKE BIKES

Yeah, it looks a little narrow for the frame. But, I don't think it will really stand out.

Obviously looks like you could go bigger but it looks fine to me as-is. Some of the best riding bikes I've been on are the old English 3 speeds with the same size though that tire tread looks a bit meatier. If it rides nice I would keep it that way :)

Diameter looks small? 590mm + 38mm + 38mm = 666mm. (B-to-the-A!) 559mm + 54mm + 54mm = 667mm. The overall diameter of an EA3 set up is almost identical to a 26" balloon tire. Obviously, the girth is way different, and there's more deflection in the ballooner.... But no significant difference in diameter....

With the coaster brake, you'll be lucky to have the chain the correct tension, as there's no adjustment for the rear axle.

That's pretty common, made for deraillers. I tried to put a single speed 700 w coaster on a Trek 1000 frame, no go.

Ran into this once and was able to get a coaster to work after trying a ton of different sizes of sprockets and 1 managed to have perfect chain tension.

If it is used more for street cruising I'd say you're fine, if you lean more on the off road and trail ride side then I'd go with a 26 x 2.125 or bigger.

Or if you do a mix of both Kenda has a smooth tread 2.125 that is great! I had a pair on my old Diamondback mountain bike and I highly recommend them.

diamondbackintheruff016_zps67f62e62.jpg

With the coaster brake, you'll be lucky to have the chain the correct tension, as there's no adjustment for the rear axle.

I was surprised to see vertical dropouts on the bike!

Naw, those are semi-horizontal drop outs. Yeah, they're more upright than most, but you'll have enough front/rear adjustment to get proper chain tension if you trim the chain to the correct length. You won't have the same margin of error that you would with some nice'n'deep horizontal drops, but you can definitely do it.

Many of these frames has kickback coasters or Nexus 3speed coasters as standard on the completes. That little doohickey on the NDS chainstay is a coaster brake tab. I swear, you're fine running this with a coaster; you'll just probably have only a 2-link margin of error on chain length to get proper tension.

Latest posts

Back