Opening my own shop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 20years experience working, building and tinkering on bikes, with the financial support of my landlord and good friend, I am opening up my own repair shop! Got my sellers license application on its way, going in for my business license tommorow and once I get those two things in the bag, I am going to secure a wholesales parts provider. So for just getting a little part time shop open (and allready got my garage dialed in for this) I am wondering, what else do I need? I think since I don't technically live in Yreka and am just out the city limits, I may catch a break there. Got most all tools I need to start basic repairs and will have the wholesale parts provider (I hope) by the time I open my doors.

This is gonna be part time as i am a department head bigwig at my day job, but as there being only one other bike shop in my town, and he is beyond swamped with business, i think I can get a good start this year and kill em' next year. Any advice out there guys? Gonna start with basic and intermidiate repairs at first, then expand into more accessory and possible bike sales later. Thanks guys.

The best advice I can give is do quality work but with a lot of patience to answer all question asked. A satisfied customer would get you at least 3 more customers.

Congratulations on taking the big plunge into your own business.

This is so encouraging to hear people taking their hobby to the level of a job and business. I truly wish you all the success in the world!

When it gets up and running, post back the web site or a flyer for the shop or the facebook page so everyone will know a good Rat Rod Bikes guy to go to!

--Rob

Thanks for the support so far guys! Within this next week, I will take some priliminary shots of my shop inside remembering its a garage shop... low overhead! By appointment at first, but with the overwhelming amount of bikes coming in from now thru September, I feel I will be in the shop alot and therefor will be easy to widen my open hours after I get home from my management job till one or two pm. Leaves me a good 3 to 4 hours easy to be "open" for general business. gonna start small at first and once I get myself a wholesale provider (like Cyclone or ?) and get a small nominal stock of general parts and supplies in order to work on bikes and do tune ups in an orderly fasion. I worked for my competiter two years ago for a few months and know I will have no problem getting business. I'm looking to repair the average joe's bike, the everyman, everywoman and ratters and rodders alike. And when I get flyers and pictures, you all are the first ones Im gonna share with, no doubt!

Get insurance!!!! It sucks but lats thing you want is for a repair to fail and you be blamed for someone injury or death. Most of the major parts distributors are going to ask for it to set you up an account.

web presence! at least; website/facebook/google+ A decent website can make difference, put some time into it or have someone help you. There are plenty of sites that I click past due to bad designs(usually poorly formatted,"frontpage templates") There are plenty of resources online, tools, templates, site builders, some free! See if you can find a web guy/gal in need of bike repairs. ;)

Well, looks like i am going to be ada'ed to death. Nothing against the ada (assosiation disabled americans?) but if I intend to have customers come to my little repair shop, I gotta tailor everyhting from my van accessable ada approved parking spot, up my grade regulated sloped ramp with rails, all the way to my ada approved bathroom with it's hundreds of required specs.

IS MY SHOP IDEA DEAD???

How can I get around this to open a simple little repair shop? I could save up for years to get into a building in town for rent and give all my money to a wicked high overhead and struggling to keep in the red, but i'd rather never pick up another bicycle repair tool than do that. Any ideas?

roadmaster said:
Well, looks like i am going to be ada'ed to death. Nothing against the ada (assosiation disabled americans?) but if I intend to have customers come to my little repair shop, I gotta tailor everyhting from my van accessable ada approved parking spot, up my grade regulated sloped ramp with rails, all the way to my ada approved bathroom with it's hundreds of required specs.

IS MY SHOP IDEA DEAD???

How can I get around this to open a simple little repair shop? I could save up for years to get into a building in town for rent and give all my money to a wicked high overhead and struggling to keep in the red, but i'd rather never pick up another bicycle repair tool than do that. Any ideas?

I have been thinking of opening a bike repair shop out of a booth at the local flea market. Just have my locking toolbox and a repair stand down there and have a few bikes to sell. Only $40 a month for the booth rent and it's covered under his business license. I don't know about insurance and all but I am still researching that aspect of it.

Do you think you could get a waiver of some kind, since your only business will be bicycles.
It's unlikely that you will have any bicycle customers who are also wheel chair users?
(this question is not intended to reflect or comment in any way on anyone who is handicapped).

Maybe you could have a friendly meeting with someone at your local Chamber of Commerce, or BBB, to outline the road blocks that you are finding, and ask for advice and or assistance to make your dream work.

are you going to create an LLC?

a boutique bicycle shop sounds ideal since you're gainfully employed already. I have a friend who runs one out of his garage, building high-end (wicked high end) bikes for triathletes and racers. It keeps his fingers in the hobby, but since like you, he does it by appointment only, he has time for his other business.

best of luck.

If income from the shop isn't a necessity, make it a non-profit. Check the laws in your state to see what kind of waivers that would get you, as per all the extras required to open a business. Heck, the government might pay you somehow. This is another reason it's so hard to start a business, many regulations, fees, and extra things that aren't needed.

Back