OP Roller to Electra Sparker (on a budget)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roller3.jpg

That's my brand new OP Roller (WalMart $79) that I'm turning into a "Poor Man's Electra Sparker". The frame is a near carbon copy of the Sparker design. My only mods thus far are the sticker removal (partial), stem height adjustment and custom electra handgrips (Amazon.com $14 shipped)

My planned mods are:

1) Paint the frame matted dark green with black accents (theme is Army messenger bike)
2) Convert from single speed to 3 speed
3) New leather seat
4) Partial set back seat post (temporary until I add a seat post tube in the space behind the existing one to extend the crank forward geometry)
5) Add a seat post tube 1" behind the existing one.
6) New 1.75 wheels with color accented rims (similar to Electra Townie 3i design)

Inspired by:
15656.jpg

I look forward to sharing the project updates here.

sdJOE86 said:
79$! wow, what a solid start. Cant wait to see what you get going.

Thanks Joe. I'm already having fun just hunting down the information. I can see how this can quickly become a bit of an obsession :)

I have seen the rear 3i 26" wheel with cable and shifter online for $90 New. I would have been happy to send my electra front badge but it was a little stubborn on removal and did not live through the event.

kim7633 said:
I have seen the rear 3i 26" wheel with cable and shifter online for $90 New. I would have been happy to send my electra front badge but it was a little stubborn on removal and did not live through the event.

Wow, sorry about that Kim. Why are you tearing your Electra apart? :cry:

kim7633 said:
you know, Electra sells headbadges. Check out their Accessory catalog.
It would be kinda like those fiberglass MGs built on a VW chassis...

Bigcam59 said:
kim7633 said:
It would be kinda like those fiberglass MGs built on a VW chassis...

Yep, I wont be putting any Electra badges or markings on my bike, I'm just using the Sparker as inspiration. My end product will be an original with my own flavor and personality added to the bike. That's the fun part for me.

Update: I've completed most of the work I'll be doing to the bike. The only thing left is paint and fenders. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.

Its a real pleasure to ride now with the 3 speed internal hub and the extreme light weight chasis.

(Click the images for higher res photos)

I picked this bike up at WalMart for $79 bucks. Here are the upgrades I've added:

Internal 3 speed hub with shifter (rear wheel kit) - ($115 bucks at Amazon)

Kenda Tires ($26 bucks at Amazon)

Leather Grips ($12 bucks at Amazon)

Avenir Bigmouth Velcro Seat Bag ($12 bucks at Amazon)

Alloy seat post with goose neck* - ($14 bucks at Amazon)

* I mounted it with gooseneck forward to attach it to the front part of the seat stays. This gives me an extra 2" of seat set back to enhance the existing crank forward design (Electra Townie Style)

Hey ... it was a good lookin' bike out of the box & with the mods you've made it's now a Great lookin' ride ... eddielives

eddielives said:
Hey ... it was a good lookin' bike out of the box & with the mods you've made it's now a Great lookin' ride ... eddielives

Thanks Eddie, once I find the right saddle, its going to really "set" it off - pun intended ;-)

Anyone if this Avenir Saddle comes in brown (to match the grips)?

411p%2BBIhtzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got one of the same bikes to use as a blank canvas, too! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41860 And if I could find one (or two) more for $79, I'd be all over it, as I have other ideas. Great riding bike, especially for the price. I was out on mine with my family tonight. It is currently my first choice of the five or six ride-able ones in my stable right now..

Sweet transfermation you got going on!
Why not see if someone has one of the Bell saddles that Walmart sold for a while (I'd sell ya mine, but then I'd need to buy something for the bike it's on :roll: ) or since you're going Electra with it....
http://www.amazon.com/Electra-Saddl...ON16/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1309140678&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Electra-59849...2A/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1309140807&sr=8-38
OR
http://cgi.ebay.com/Endzone-Velo-Be...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf7ce9b0c
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-Bicycle-Sa...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf77a8369

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks guys! I especially appreciate the links. One of those saddles just might do the trick. Leaning to the ones without tassles though

Latest posts

Back