One for a bud

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well someone gave me this bike, buddy had a 70's columbia he wanted to trade for it. It was a rider and my wife wanted it so we traded, last night he came over got to do some work.
FxCam_1313622264362.jpg

Here is what we started with, did a rough draft in our heads and got to work.
Stripped the seat of its cover since he just wanted the pan, and he wanted it as low the fender as he could. I tried to talk him into pie cutting the seat post and moving that way, but it didn't go low enough lol. So we just welded it to the frame.
FxCam_1314315114179.jpg

Took the handle bars off the girls bike I had and flipped them made a huge difference already.
FxCam_1314316644224.jpg

After that he left so I just kept working for a bit, marked the fender to chop it rounded it and painted to so he could see where I was going to cut. He like it so got out the cutting wheel :D
FxCam_1314315339260.jpg

FxCam_1314315647739.jpg

85ed the front fender its starting to look mean.
FxCam_1314318932192.jpg

So just for fun I through the basket back on it :lol:
FxCam_1314319127617.jpg

When I sent this picture I told him I had welded it on for him.

Its a good start, he wants to order some thick bricks for it so should be a neat bike when it is done.

WHEW YOU GUYS WERE WORKING!! LOOKING GOOD!! LOOKS GREAT SO FAR SO...GET TA BUILDING!! PEACE

Well had another buddy that just broke up with his girl friend, been a hard time for him. He had just bough her a bike as well, so I figured to help him get his mind off it lets cut up the bike and make something different out of it :D
251546_1993899044699_1160103019_2995563_7718352_n.jpg

Here is what he started with..

He wanted a guys bike and something differnt to cruise around one. So I didn't want to make it to crazy seeing how hes going to ride it around.
Fist step take out the major girl aspect of the bike.
FxCam_1314749543367.jpg

Then decided to flip that part and see how it turned out.
FxCam_1314749603916.jpg

The seat didn't fit so I took the post out and cut a pie out of it moved the post back 45 degrees.
FxCam_1314750024916.jpg
Got to weld it back but its all just held in place right now, hes really liking the way it looks so far. Got tack it together, and he wants to try to put a straight bar in there under the hump. Got a newer bike I just cut up so just ahve to see where it goes from there. :D H e was cheered up some after leaving. Hopefully will be able to help him turn out a really sweet bike. I'm making him do the work that way he learns some. I enjoy teaching people how to do there own stuff. Gives them a bit of pride in it, they get to say They built it. Plants a bug as well to make them adventure off and try doing new things they didn't think they could.

Thanks guys, yeah I'm happy to help him. I just have to remember to thank my wife for taking care of the kids so I can get out here and help. Anyone have any extra ideas for this one. I don't want to do anything to it unless he is here, but I would like have some ideas to pitch at him.

GREAT BUILD!! YEAH A STRAIGHT BAR WOULD BE SICK! HEY YA MIGHT AS WELL GO FOR A TANK ALSO. TELL YA FRIEND THERE'S MORE FISH IN THE SEA SO PULL YA POLE OUT :wink: AND ...GET TA FISHIN'!! :mrgreen: PEACE

Nice! I've been eyeballing a really sweet girls bike and I'm thinking I might buy it and do exactly what you've done....now I know it'll work and look cool.

Hes on about the same budget I am on, so I doubt a tank will be in the picture lol. Unless we can find a girls tank and spend some time re forming the curves.

Well I got creative tonight, feel bad I was here by myself but got some work done on the Girls bike... Doesn't look the same anymore.
FxCam_1315026339109.jpg

FxCam_1315026359956.jpg

FxCam_1315026376257.jpg

Curved the seat post tube, bent the seat post back and welded it all up. Still have some finish grinding to do, but hey its looking pretty nice. Next is to wait till Chris (buddy who owns the bike) to come over and figure out whats next, goint to hand him the welder show him how and let me go at it.

Got me a new tattoo Thursday as well, the other Chris 1st bike I"m doing is a tattoo artist. Cant help it this one really shows the dork in me :lol:
FxCam_1314923794526.jpg

Still got to get some color in it but I love it.

SWEET BUILDS,SWEET INK AND THOSE CONVERSE ARE WORN AND COMFY I BET!! DID YA FRIEND LAUGH AT MY ADVICE?!? :mrgreen: ...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

He's recovering I've been blessed for sure, and had the chance to help alot of friends that have needed it. Just pray I give good advice, and things contiunue to get better.

Well I got bored last night and had 5 minutes to spare so aired up the tires (they actually held it!) and rode them around the back yard. The red one is a really nice ride really comfortable, and easy to pedal. The other one geeze.... lol its not bad so long you don't have to stand up and push down on the pedals, with the mix of the bars and the seat not easy to do.

Well the first bike I was working on I will never finish, he's moving to Chicago soon so got all his stuff and is heading out soon. On the other hand on the other bike I'm working on thinking about putting a straight bar of some type. I've got this one just sitting on the bike but the tube looks to large to me so going to see what other bikes I have laying around I can cut up.
FxCam_1318006358115.jpg

Back