Olympic Deluxe? Need info help on bike...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it goin everyone? Ok I've searched online with no little luck trying to find info on this bike. I put up a 20" chrome Lowrider bike for trade locally and I got this offer from someone. This is what they emailed me... "i have an old vintage 26 in road bike if you look online its a rare bike and is worth 400 one sold for 300 online but willing to do a stright trade if youd like but you could trade it for a bike of your liking or re sell its a good trade the bike i offer is a rare 1960 olympic De luxe sprinter 3 speed all original ready to ride re sell or re trade let me know what you think."

Does anyone have any info on this make/model? Is it really worth that much? Doesn't really seem like it would. Below are pics thy sent me of bike. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

726EA20C-DC11-42EF-8162-A2FAA7B86EB7-2994-00000307B6D83300.jpg

838996E5-DC3D-48CA-B6C9-6DC29BC63913-2983-00000305EB3D9490.jpg

I think it would of been built in West Germany in the 60's. The rear hub if a Sturmy Arch will be dated with 2 digit year.

In terms of value, I don't think they are worth $300-400. 3 speed Ralieghs can be had for $50-200 depending on condition. More than likely it uses a 26x 1 3/8" tire. No other size will fit.

Olmpic De Luxe is the proper name.

Looks like an Austrian made (Steyr?) three speed. I see a lot of these with JC Higgins and Western Flyer badging. These were well made and it probably has a Sachs Torpedo rear hub of some type. No way I would pay $300 for one of these even if it was still in the original box. Not much there as a collectible but could be worth $50 - $100 to someone who wants to use it for transportation.

I've had a couple of similar bikes. Olympics were as stated West German built bikes. All that I've seen have been "tourist" or cruiser style models. Very traditional look but with unique features in the designs.

Wild chainguards on some, extensive stenciled graphics, aluminum fenders with painted inset stripes, but otherwise cheap or at least everyday mechanicals like hubs and cranks.

Probably sold through some long-gone department store, and like most European goods at the time, very cheap for the American market. Are you likely to see another? No. Should you pay more than $50 for a good example? No.

--Rob

Will you see one? Yes. I have one, 3 speed, Sturmey Archer shifter, Shurmann rims, Torpedo Dreigang hubs.

Latest posts

Back