Old Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Picked this up during the week. pretty happy with it even though it has a frame issue at the bottom bracket. seems like that was a common weakness. anyhow, looks to have some good original paint under the barn dust. Too busy shoveling snow today to run the serial # so more about that later. Missing the drop stand and clip but I may have a spare. Bonus on the clean seat, nice rack and cool mudflap (in the basket)

02092013023_zpsa01df393.jpg

02092013025_zpsfdf67e47.jpg

02092013026_zps32878c36.jpg

02092013027_zpsec892482.jpg

This bike is kind of intriguing. It appears that the 30's &0's Western Flyers were cwc built, this one sure looks like an Westfield Elgin with it's curved seat tube, peaked fenders and smoothed welds.

I'd get off the fence and on the welder. It's only paint right? Matching and blending a small hidden area should be easy enough.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Looks to be '40 or '41 Murray built, same as an Elgin as previously noted. Cool bikes with the curved seat tube. Looks like nice original paint also. Nice score!

Walker said:
Of the murray serial # charts i found, they only go back to 1949. Serial # reads MFW 13539
try the western flyer SN charts. but with that style it has to be 39-41
What are you thinking you will do with it??

Nick.

Odb is correct. It's the same bike as my Murray built Elgin or panelmans mercury. There's been a bunch of that type of bike showing up on here, none with that badge lately. Very cool bike nice find.

Ps weld it or find some one to. I wouldn't play with plastic on a frame, most likely it won't hold over time. It won't be hard to blend.

Back