Old Timer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting with this 1953 Raleigh. The only original thing I'm gonna keep is my wife. This bike will recieve a few modifications and a lot less of it's original components. I just want a good around town daily ride.

100_3157.jpg

100_3158.jpg

100_3170.jpg

100_3176.jpg

100_3177.jpg

100_3186.jpg

100_3187.jpg

100_3185.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3178.jpg

100_3180.jpg

100_3182.jpg

I didn't like the fact that the top truss bracket wasn't as beefy looking as the bottom so i went back
and modified it. Now I like it better.

100_3191.jpg

100_3192.jpg

100_3195.jpg

I'm also going to run a 3 speed rear with coaster brakes to eliminate brake cables and clean things up a bit. The original rear spokes were so cruddy with grease build up from years of use but I found a great and easy way to clean them. I just use the wire tripper hole that is slightly larger than the spoke and slide it back and forth on the spoke from end to end. The grease buildup was so thick and hard that this saved me a tremendous amount of time.

100_3173.jpg

100_3175.jpg

100_3174.jpg

Until next time.......

That was a cool way to clean the spokes. Its always a pain. You start and then in a few minutes you think...man I still have 20 left to do. :lol: I use a wire wheel on my bench grinder and it does a pretty good job. I always wondered if you could setup a tumbler with walnut hulls like a bullet cleaner. Stick them in and let them go a while. :lol:

Ricky,
Ingenious idea using the seat stays from a road frame as truss bars. You always bring something new (to me anyway) to your builds, I'm looking forward to this one.

If you're looking to keep the skinny tire look, I've got a set of decent looking 26 X 1 3/8 rims for you.

Cheers!
Dr. T

It looked GORGEOUS as it was originally!

Im liking the new front end though. Ive been trying to think of a way to spice up the front fork on my newest build. I may just pony up and get a springer.

Keep us updated!

...Thank you so much! lol that wirestriper idea is just what I needed, my 1939 sports has cruddy spokes!

Was able to get a little done this weekend.

100_3205.jpg

100_3207.jpg

100_3208.jpg

100_3197.jpg

This cleaned uppretty well for 57 year old chrome.
100_3211.jpg

100_3212.jpg

100_3213.jpg

Then I had time to make this.........
100_3228.jpg

100_3229.jpg

100_3234.jpg

100_3235.jpg

until next time....

Uncle Stretch said:
Man super job on the chainguard....I would have warped that into oblivion. Looking good. :lol:

I did warp it a little but I took my shrinker & stretcher and worked it back in shape. It's not perfect but doesn't have to be. I'm painting this bike with Rust-o-leum Light Green Hammered and accenting the guard and top truss bracket in Silver Hammered. That way a lot of the imperfections won't show anyway.
Yeah, you got 1-2 more in you, I just know it. Hehe.

That chain guard is wicked, great work.

Very nice!!!
I may use that design of fork for a very special build I´m cooking.
Great inspirational build!

I had to get some color on something to give me the incentive to keep at it. If not, my attention span is very short and I lose interest real quick. I've always been partial to light colors so I chose the light green hammered finish paint with the silver hammered for accenting. Now I'm getting excited but we're going on winter vacation next week so things will have to wait until I get back. Light Green hammered, with my bright orange wheels and whitewall tires, can't wait.

100_3236.jpg

100_3241.jpg

100_3246.jpg

Ok who in their right mind goes on vacation in the winter? Unless its to the Bahama's , Hawii or someplace warm ....and then there is the big depression factor when you have to come back to the cold. I know the bike is going to turn out nice. Being that old did you ever question anybody if It had some big value before you started changing it? Just curious. :shock:

Hey Unk: Yeah, we're going somewhere warm. On a cruise to Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, and back. My wife is cold natured and that's why we're going. Plus, my car shows and swap meets start up next month at Myrtle Beach and with one every couple of weeks until June. So no vacations then. Maybe another one in August for our 32nd anniversary, but I don't know where yet.
Yes, I purchased the bike from a local bicycle shop owner for $35.00 about a year ago. I took it to several swap meets and later put it on ebay because I didn't think I would have time to do anything with it. I got a bid for a whopping $35.00 so I kept it. I sold the chain guard the other day for 20.00 so I'm ok with that. Hey, anything I have is worth a mint when I'm buying it but not worth a nickel when I'm selling it. Ever been there. Good to hear from you.

Yeah I have noticed that all my life. Boy let me try to buy something and they want big bucks for it , but the minute I have one ...they arnt worth anything. Go figure.The bad part is its never gotten any better as I got older. Hey have fun on your trip....don't drink the water, and I know your going to be bored and wanting to rush back home and finish your bike.

Back