old Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I purchased a 26" cantilever frame, who the owner claimed was a SCHWINN. Frame only, no forks or badges to help identify. The badge holes do line up but i assume most are the same no? Here is my main question:

The serial number is on the bottom bracket and reads W077319. Following the final digit is a 2 in exponential form (like 9 squared). According to the index a BB serial is 48-52 but the serial number runs as a 1956. Am i not understanding or is my frame a different make and model? I have included a pic of the dropouts as well as i see this is a huge clue most of the time. Also the deep.stamped '8' or exponent '2' may have some significance no?

i appreciate your help and want to say i love this site and forum.

Serialclose.jpg.jpg
20141208_173423.jpg

I can when it is front of me, i work on the road so next weekend.

But in all honesty it is a standard cantilever style frame like 80% of all beach cruisers. But if it helps i will post when i get home.

Thanks.for looking btw

I have seen Huffy and yes i thought they looked close....however, and I may wrong but Huffys didn't have the dual tubes filled in on the ends. Also the majority of Huffys i saw had the serial on the headtube and started with the letter H.

But alas I have been wrong before. Thank you for looking too

Might well be Huffy, but definitely not Schwinn. Every hack with an old bike will try to sell it as a Schwinn... Still possibly a cool bike, if the price is nice.

Last edited:
The dropouts look Monark to me. If it's a true cantilever, it'll be 1959 or later since Schwinn held a patent on canti frames until then.

Lol, multiple personality disorder frame........

Ok. Thank you all for.looking and your replies. So i can clear this up, what pics will make it easy? Whole frame?✔ Better closeup of the drop tubes?....anything else?

And Yes F.Zombie, i thought maybe it was sanded down with the prep, the frame is shot in base/clear Cadillac Eldorado red 2-stage.

But the '0' actually at times looks like a backwards '6'. Almost looked like the front cpl letters was an insignia, but in the right light the W0 are clear under there.....good call tho.

Also anyone ever seen a exponential 2 or deep.stamped 8? What are these?

And Yes F.Zombie, i thought maybe it was sanded down with the prep, the frame is shot in base/clear Cadillac Eldorado red 2-stage.

But the '0' actually at times looks like a backwards '6'. Almost looked like the front cpl letters was an insignia, but in the right light the W0 are clear under there.....good call tho.

Also anyone ever seen a exponential 2 or deep.stamped 8? What are these?
I have an eye for detail, But it ends up always being for silly little things more than anything all that helpful. I can imagine it might have been restamped after a blast to re-elaborate the lettering..Hadn't considered that!
[to be fair though, that caddy red looks pretty sweet]

Ok. Home and trying to get some pics in during the holiday madness. Hope these help in getting this thing figured out.
20141215_205252.jpg
20141215_205320.jpg

Thanks for the views and opinions

Attachments

• 20141215_205348.jpg
    20141215_205348.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20141215_205402.jpg
    20141215_205402.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20141215_205426.jpg
    20141215_205426.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
It looks to me as if the dropouts were modified, the upper hole looks too close to the top of the dropout. I think maybe they were trimmed. So I will still guess a Huffy frame. It looks like a good frame, and the powder coating looks excellent, but a Huffy frame doesn't have the same value as a Schwinn frame. If you paid a lot extra because it was supposed to be a Schwinn, I'd go back and renegotiate.

Back