Old Schwinn of unkown age

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow , you did great just in the chaingard you have more than you paid for never mind the fork there you hit the mother load :mrgreen: great find, it's from the 50th it has the center bar it makes it much stronger.

That's a steal :shock: Springer fork, wheelset, fenders...everything good to have :mrgreen:

THose early model Schwinn springers typically go for $100+

You can also unbolt the pivot bolt and spin the head tube/crown 180* and rake the front end out a few inches.

Yep, $100 for the springer and at least $25 for the guard. Those 26" girls seats look great on a 24" boys bike. Fenders are aftermarket. Rims may be replaced too, can't tell from the pic. Gary

I am pretty sure that what you've got there is a '51 to '54 Schwinn girls Panther, model D-77.

Some investigation of the chainguard with maybe some oven cleaner or Simple Green, could lift enough of that paint to find out what the original colors were and with a lot of luck, what the decal said.

All the ladies models that came with a springer fork would have had a tank, so keep an eye out for one of those if you're thinking restoration. There are parts available for the key cylinder (Cycelock) in the fork, if it had one. I think it would also have had a rack, just like a Phantom or Panther rear carrier.

It could also be a 1955-up ladies Phantom, but I think a Panther's more likely, and the seat looks early. Locate your serial number and we'll tell you. Up to 1952 it's under the crank, after that it's on the left rear of the frame. May have to remove a fender stay to read the whole number.

Other parts that will help date it: stamps in the center of the handlebars with the SCHWINN stamp, and there may be a forging date in the center of the crank.

If you do part it, you may find that the forks won't fit a Phantom directly (longer head tube on girl's bikes) but there are lots of bikes it will fit.

Way cool find!
--Rob

Definitely a Schwinn-built bike. Same era as ours, 1947-50.

The Lincoln brand is just one that Schwinn built for their distributors. Chicago Cycle Supply was some kind of broker that would strike deals with the small local shops- hardware stores, auto shops.

The smooth curved front welds at the head tube tell you it's a Schwinn frame, along with the Schwinn guard and all the other Arnold Schwinn & Co. early parts.

If you pull the crank it'll have AS&CO cast into the middle of it. The skiptooth chain tells you its early.

This is ours after a good deal of re-engineering.

47schwinn_x2.jpg

The "before" picture at the antique store:

47schwinn_b.jpg

Very nice example you've found. Post the serial when you get a chance.

--Rob

Peatbog said:
From the same place I bought the first bike, I bought this one because I thought the fenders were cool. I was headed to work and the guy was bringing more stuff out into his driveway, so I stopped in and bought the bike. The seller has an auction business, he told me, and sometimes they buy out entire estates. That is where he is getting stuff for his every-once-in-a-while sales.

blackbikewhole.jpg

I was in a hurry to not be late for work, so I didn't even notice until later that the bike has a skip tooth chain. I also didn't notice it had a Lincoln head badge. It has a Schwinn decal on the chainguard, so I originally thought it to be a Schwinn.

blackbike4.jpg

Other than the coaster brake, it all works fine. Other than fixing the brake if I can, I might just leave it as it is.

Back