old pedal twisting (problem?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey, so i've got these old pedals on my bike, and i really like them. but they're having some twisting problems. I've included pictures. I'm wondering if i should be concerned about this as i don't want them to break on me. I would think most of my weight would be on the middle peg that bolts into the crank, so its not like the outside ones twisting have a lot of weight on them. if it is something to be concerned about, is there anyway to remedy this problem? they don't appear to be the kind that can be rebuilt.

here in the pics, i tried to twist is to the max one way, and to the max the other to try to show the amount of twisting.
Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

any thoughts?

thanks

thats what i would call "wollered out", just looks like normal wear and tear. i would replace them before they fail just to save some frustration, theyre probably fine for a bit longer but i think their days are numbered. if you really like them, grind the pins off and run some bolts through them to straighten them up.

the bolt idea had crossed my mind but i wasnt sure if that would fix it or if the real problem was wear on other parts. but i suppose bolts are easier to mess with in the long run. have you had much luck with the bolts?

thanks.

honesty, i just swap the pedals out most of the time, i have had the bolted style thats been loose before, just unbolted em and added a washer to take the wiggle out of them. I've never ran across a pinned pair that i was afraid to give up before.

Latest posts

Back