Old No. 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Ok, so I've had this bike a while and never done a build diary, but now but am now inspired and determined to finish it. It's a bulk standard MTB jump style frame, as the back end is very low I thought it lent itself to a pre-war board track bobber/autocycle. The main idea of the bike is that I spend nothing on it, if it breaks mend it, if I need something for it, I'll make it somehow.

I'd love to stick an engine on it, an old villiers 98cc but alas I'm in the uk and such things are not allowed without tons of certificates and paperwork. Maybe an electric motor??

no7a.jpg

Spot the cantilever brake.

no7b.jpg

Toyed around with the idea of a gas tank yesterday, not convinced it works, possibly with some copper piping and a couple of valves, might ditch it and build an Indian style one. Plus it still looks like a 2L coke bottle.

Ok, ditched the tank today, looked utterly ridiculous. Going to make a box tank, tapered at the back, the top front will rest on the top tube and the bottom back will sit tight up to the bottom of the top tube. Hopefully this will reduce the gap between the front of the saddle and the top tube giving it a cleaner line. I don't have any of the skills that most of you guys here have so welding is a no-no, will have to fabricate it somehow. Also toying with the idea of paining the rims to match the frame.

On the lookout for a FWO electric bike too. Plan on stripping it including the battery and making mounts for the parts.

Yup, 2 litre Coke to be precise, cut the top off, slit down the side and sprayed the inside then mounted and filled with expandable foam to stop it getting crinkled.

I've given up on the tank idea for now, I want this bike to be electric eventually running a 48v 1000w motor and I'm hoping to make a tank to accommodate the batteries so I'm goind to hold off on it until I get the parts. I had a couple of pairs of mountain bike bar ends and a shed load of old bars in the workshop so I thought I'd knock up some boardtrack style adjustable bars last night. I can now angle the bars to wherever I want them, makes storage easier as well as I can now fold the bars in.

I do need to work out how to put a 3 speed shifter on it though, was originally going to use a grip-shift but I'm leaning more towards a stick shifter, can you still get stick shifts?? where would I mount it?

no7h1.jpg
no7h2.jpg

Well spotted, yeah it's a really small one off a kids skateboard, used the truck hanger from the other truck mounted to the rear brake bridge for the other end of the shocks.

Thanks for the link

Back