Old Monark (?) Frame - need help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I found what I think is a late 30s Monark 5-bar frame at a swap meet earlier this week. It has a Wards Hawthorne badge.

I really want to build it up, but the headtube is an especially large diameter and I have no idea what type or size of bearing cups I need. None of the ones I have are large enough.
Any help?

672_zpsd0b50ac5.jpg

That's an awesome frame. No forks? Maybe you could use some kind of sleeves to get a regular size set of forks to work. If they would fit tightly in the frame and not allow the bearing caps to move, it would probably work.

schwinn boy said:
I found what I think is a late 30s Monark 5-bar frame at a swap meet earlier this week. It has a Wards Hawthorne badge.

That statement is accurate as far as it goes... The frame, as badged, is a from a Hawthorne Twin-Bar bicycle but it was manufactured for Montgomery Ward by Monark so it is still in essence a Monark bicycle.

MW sold their Twin-Bar models (we currently refer to them as 5-Bars) for several years and they were produced for MW by three different manufacturers. Those with the continuous tubes running beneath the crank hanger are Monark products.

Schwinn boy, I'd like to see how your seat post area looks on your frame. The red frame Nick pictured is actually mine (I had to check my photobucket to make sure lol), and it seems maybe someone sawed the edge of the post tube off. Then again, the other frame he posted looks about the same. Mine has a ghost paint image of a Hawthorne badge. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Schwinn boy, I'd like to see how your seat post area looks on your frame. The red frame Nick pictured is actually mine (I had to check my photobucket to make sure lol), and it seems maybe someone sawed the edge of the post tube off. Then again, the other frame he posted looks about the same. Mine has a ghost paint image of a Hawthorne badge. -Adam

You also relies that bike was also mine Adam :mrgreen:

Nick.

Rustinkerer said:

here it is.it seems like mine was shortened with a hacksaw and a pair of pliers.
49629C41-4E34-4741-BE22-AE23C9077EFB-397-000001DE4AFCE33A_zpsd7c05738.jpg

i just picked this one up and its blowing my mind!

I cant find any info on this particular one but everything i have read said the 5 bar is one of the rarest bikes ever made by Hawthorne and that it was a one year only bike. but i cant find one with a shifter like mine nor with a drum brake like mine. i would say its a 1937 thru 1940 but i have no clue. i have no clue of its value either... anyone got any ideas that might help me?

Anybody know what this is worth? I have an idea just would like others opinions az well as my own. Or an actual year it was made?

The 2 speed New Departure (fairly rare, valuable) was probably an option as was the drum brake. You got the deluxe bike that the neighborhood rich kid owned. Enjoy! Gary

So excited about this bike. i keep getting offers of 200 bucks on it but ive had 5+ people tell me its 6-800 as it sits! im cool with that.Now the only thing left is to see weither i can ride it safely after i figure out how to lube it up properly or sell it to get a bike i can ride. she is a beautiful bike either way though!

I think @bigharley is one of the few people that own a Hawthorne Twin Bar / 5 Bar that didn't pass through Nick!!! @Nickinator owned mine as well.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/★-starsnbars-★-38-hawthorne-twin-bar-5-bar-☠-red-white-and-rust-beehive-girvin.83243/

It's true; most of these Hawthorne 5-bars that turn up are the Monark built frames. I have a 5-bar built by HP Snyder. I can't quite determine if bigharley's is a Snyder or CWC build--they're very similar but a serial would be an easy determiner. '38 was the first model year they were offered.. I think it is the only year actually. The Monark badged bikes (with the straight middle bar like Nick posted) were built '39-40.

I think @bigharley is one of the few people that own a Hawthorne Twin Bar / 5 Bar that didn't pass through Nick!!! @Nickinator owned mine as well.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/★-starsnbars-★-38-hawthorne-twin-bar-5-bar-☠-red-white-and-rust-beehive-girvin.83243/
index.php
At first, I thought "so that's how my frame was built up.." then I clicked on the build thread-2014! Ah, not so, but a virtual twin, down to the funky red spray bomb finish!!! :thumbsup:

Back