Old Marshall Wells Zenith I picked up...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Marshall Wells Zenith for my oldest son for $40 out of a back yard vine patch at a place I was working yesterday. My younger boy got a 1940s Hawthorne last year and the older son has wanted something similar ever since. Not sure how old this one is yet but it sure is cool. Has all the fenders and the rack still. Tires are rotten so he will have to spring for some new ones. There is alot of clearance so this one is just begging for some fatties. The fork is backwards for some reason...

Anyone know about what era this one is?

101.jpg

102.jpg

Actually it just looks like it is on backwards? I'll bet if you turn those bars around 180 degrees you'll be good to go...

*edit* I see you already knew that... :oops: and they do look like they may be a little bent once they're turned around.

I took the fork off and it is in fact really really bent. Like unsafe even. The steerer tube inside the head tube is even all banana'd out. I had to kind of mangle it to get it out so I know it's totally beyond repair. The fork steerer tube is 1" OD and about 6 1/2" long from base to end. I have been searching around for a new fork to buy and all I get on the interwebs is suspension forks and roadie bike forks...

Where can I get a suitable replacement?

So we are 4WD/rock crawling people and I have the tools and ability to do things with metal... The younger boy donated his old ran over walmart bike to the cause for parts and we were able to repair the fork with some careful welding and the shop press.

001.jpg

Thanks! You know I'm really not used to thinking that way about bikes, then I suddenly realized "We have the technology!"...

:lol:

So my boy Caleb got some fresh whitewall beachies and some new tubes to put on his new ride. Got everything all greased front to back. The brake works alot better now after decrustifying everything in the rear hub. I couldn't talk him into running his front fender so it will probably end up on the back of his brother's old Hawthorne after some hammer and dolley work.

Overall the thing rides great now, I have a hard time staying off of it.

004.jpg

Back