Old Find - What is it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time posting here, great site. Just pulled this from a pile of junk destined for the crusher. Any idea what it is? No head badge or head badge holes. There was an old rear wheel with a skip tooth hub and New Departure hub. Check out the seat post hole, there seems to be a welded on post clamp? The serial number is on the bottom of the bottom bracket thing. It is 4 digits with a "J" at the end. Any help is appreciated.

BlueBike1.jpg

Check out the fork- no dropouts? I've never seen forks like these, but I'm no bicycle historian:
BlueBike3.jpg

This seat was near it, probably was on the bike at some point? Where can I find a clamp to mount it onto a seat tube?
BlueBike6.jpg

I don't know who made your frame but that's a nice one! It's old...I'd say middle to late 30's. I think it might be called a "Zep" frame.
For your seat parts, post a message in the Wanted section with a pic of the seat. Those parts are common and you should have no trouble finding some. Gary

Thank you for your reply. Dumb question, how do you mount a front wheel with that style of forks? Do you have to stretch and pull the fork apart to fit the axle in? Or are you supposed to un-thread the axle out of the wheel and then out of the fork?

You have a 1936/37 Colson on your hands. This is one of their frames that has an extremely long wheelbase which makes for a comfortable ride. It is also a frame design that was never offered with a tank. The fork is the standard fork for the bike and just needs truss rods, it is not a springer. Generally the fork blades can be spread just enough to insert a wheel but you can also thread the axle back and forth if necessary.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm excited to get it back together. I will sand and spray paint it this weekend. Just kidding. I hope to keep it original and find a crank, stem, handlebars, and the truss' for the fork and get it rolling soon. Will modern wheel axles fit these old frames?

If anyone has any parts that would work on this, please let me know. Hopefully original period type parts, except for wheels, not too picky about those yet, although it would be cool to get that New Departure Model D back in action.

Thanks again.

Back