Old chain no master link??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an old huffy I'm tearing down and it is stripped down all but the chain I cant find a master link and I dont want to cut it. Any suggestions would be grand.

There should be a link that doesn't have a "dogbone" shaped link on one side. That is the master link. To pop the plate off you flex both sides of the chain toward the flat sided plate and then use a screw driver to pry it off. Or you can pick up a chain break tool at your LBS and just break the chain where you please.

For the record, the master link on my father's Roadmaster had a dogbone-shaped side plate. It was very difficult to pick out from the standard links. The chain on my Roadmaster had the typical non-dogbone side, OTOH. Oh, and the chain on my mother's Schwinn simply had no master link that I could identify. I had to use a chain breaker and add one to service it. So those anomolies are out there.

It actually had two non-dogbone links in it and I flexed the chain and pried with a screwdriver as mentioned above and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help guys I need to pick up a chain tool mine is broken atm.

Back