Ok, it's your turn. (Minibike build)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my last bike build about a week ago, and have been wondering what to work on now. I needed to freshen up my finished Minibike for the up coming HAMB drags the end of this month. I finished that up today, I fixed a flat tire, repainted the whitewalls, swapped the aircleaner out for a stack, and redid the throttle. I'm still not 100% happy with the throttle, but it's a whole lot better than it was. I have this other Minibike I picked up about 2 years ago. The back tire was froze up, so every time I wanted to move it I had to pick it up, and the front forks are bent, someone did a serious endo on it. The forks where pushed back about 2 inches. I dissembled it down to the frame. I cut the forks off right above the bend, and removed 2 inches from the fork tubes. I made sleeves and welded it back together. I redrilled the rear axle holes about 1 inch higher. Man it sit nice now. I had made a new seat for it about this time last year, so I set that in place. Then it was time to sit down and stare at it, I like it. I just ran out to the shop and took 2 pictures of it as it sets. It had a 2.5 horse on it, but it's getting a 5 horse now. The gold one has a 5 horse, and it's fast! Enjoy ,Dean

The gold one
Orangewheels008.jpg

Both of them
Orangewheels005.jpg

The black one as found
Orangewheels003.jpg

As it sits now
100_0673.jpg

100_0674.jpg

I'm not sure of a color yet. With the tan/brown Crocodile seat I was thinking either blue, purple, red, or orange. After looking at them together now, I think I need to loose some height in the gold seat. The low seat looks a lot better. That's pretty easy to do.

those are awesome! i got one that needs repaited/upholstered. it has a 3.5hp briggs, runs pretty well. it is actually my dads, but i may take it over as a project this winter! say, what are you going to do with the 2.5hp motor when you swap it for the 5hp? may be interested in it. :D

murraymadman said:
those are awesome! i got one that needs repaited/upholstered. it has a 3.5hp briggs, runs pretty well. it is actually my dads, but i may take it over as a project this winter! say, what are you going to do with the 2.5hp motor when you swap it for the 5hp? may be interested in it. :D
The 5 horse is on a go cart. I'm pulling it off, and putting the 2.5 horse on it. The granddaughter drives it around, and it's to fast with the 5 horse. The 2.5 horse should keep her whoaed down.

necessaryevil said:
Is that a 356 sitting next to the truck? What's the story on that?
It's a 1959 356 Porsche. I've had the car 30 years. It's original paint, no rust, and never been crashed.

Very cool. I sold my dad's old 1965 356sc last year, air cooled porsches are just neat cars.

It's all but done. Here's 3 pictures I shot in the shop at 10pm. Not the best light. I'll try and get some tomorrow during the day. All I need to do is get 2 set screws for the clutch, put the chain on it, (I had it on, but took it back off so I can tune the engine.) and put gas in it. I had the engine running on the go Kart I took it off of, so it should still start. All I did was pull the tank and carb, and the tin for paint. I made a new exhaust out of a VW exhaust tip. I opened up the aircleaner for more air, and drilled the jet out 2 sizes bigger for more fuel. Should be fast. The gold one is fast, It went 40mph in the 1/4, this one has bigger tires, and is geared for more top end, so It should really go. Maybe I should wear a helmet. Dean

As found,
Orangewheels003.jpg

Now,
100_0697.jpg

100_0698.jpg

100_0699.jpg

i like man seeing this really makes me want to get mine back out and mess with it. right now i need to find another 5 hp as my old one snaped the rod in 5 peices i only found 4 and it put two holes in the case so that motor is history. now it has the old 3 hp and it is slow. plus the worn clutch really does not work on it so i just welded it to the crank lol. it will work for now but down the line i want more with the old 5hp it was good for around 40 and off the line would carry the front tire off the ground for a good 10 feet.

No new pictures. I spent most of the day getting it to run. Couldn't get any spark. I had to pull it apart 3 times to finally get spark. Then I had a problem with the rope coil making noise. I ended up changing out the ratchet thingy on the flywheel, seems to be OK now. I also had a problem with the brake not working right. I raised the tire up into the frame, which made the friction brake jam up into the tire. I had to heat some welded on brackets to realign the brake, always fun on fresh paint. Oh well I just spotted it back in, you can't see it. What a pain this thing was. I did ride it tonight though. The chain hit the fender, so I had to cut the fender with my cutoff wheel. I had put the front fender on the back. At least I think it's done. Oh, the front tire went flat too. I put a plug in it. Maybe pictures tomorrow. Dean

Well I completely forgot about taking some good pictures. Went to the HAMB drags last weekend. The new hotel had a great parking lot for riding Mini bikes. Both of them ran great. Had a little trouble starting the red late Friday night, but a spark plug change Saturday morning seems to have fixed it. The red one has more low end grunt than the gold one, but the gold one has the top end pull. The gold one won all the impromptu drags in the hotel parking lot. Ran the wheels off them all weekend long. Broke the chain on the red one Saturday, but was able to fix it with parts from one we bought Friday at the Springfield swapmeet. We went back to the swapmeet on Sunday and bought two more. So now I have three, and my buddy has two. I'll try and post good pictures of the red one tomorrow. Someone took this picture as I was riding around Friday night. It's posted in a thread on the HAMB.
024.jpg

did u get any pics from the mini bike drags? i would love to see that i am trying to work with a few guys about doing a traditional car show at sacramento raceway with drags as well. i wont post anything on the hamb about it till i get a somewhat green light. but i bet they have a sat or sunday without an event and i bet a nor cal show where you can run your car would go over real well

i've given away all my mini-bikes, but i just mite biuld a mini-trike soon.
what else can ya do when you get a free OCC schwinn and a free go-cart?
you can probably imagine what i have in mind :lol:
000_0001-7.jpg

karfer67 said:
did u get any pics from the mini bike drags? i would love to see that i am trying to work with a few guys about doing a traditional car show at sacramento raceway with drags as well. i wont post anything on the hamb about it till i get a somewhat green light. but i bet they have a sat or sunday without an event and i bet a nor cal show where you can run your car would go over real well
There wasn't any offical Mini bike drags, just myself and a friend in a remote corner of the parking lot.

Here's a picture of the one I bought last Sunday at the Springfield MO. swapmeet. It's being a stubborn ol cuss. I couldn't get any spark, so I changed the points and condenser, now it has spark, but still won't start. It's getting fuel, so I'm going to change the sparkplug. I still have to clean out the carb, but it should at least pop on the starter fluid, I'm not getting anything.
100_0714.jpg

I don't know what color this will be yet, and it will probably be for sale when I'm done.

Back