Oiling down old paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've got an old bike that has original paint that is very burnt, I can't get it to come back with polish at all. I've seen some bikes on here that look like they've been oiled down, what is it that you use? I think that's the only hope I've got with this one. Any downfalls? Does it attract dust?

I think the look your asking about is when the original paint has a new clear coat on it. I'm not sure if you lightly sand the paint, or just clean it really well and the spray it with glass clear, but it's done with clear coat regardless.

I definitely do not want to clear it. Not a fan of cleared patina... And I've already got the bike reassembled. I have seen "builds" on here which used some sort of oil, gives it a bit of shine and depth without being too glossy....

GTV said:
I definitely do not want to clear it. Not a fan of cleared patina... And I've already got the bike reassembled. I have seen "builds" on here which used some sort of oil, gives it a bit of shine and depth without being too glossy....

I have read of people using spray furniture wax, like "lemon pledge"...

I use motor oil on all my og paint old bikes. Keep in mind this is only for og paint that is rough. I just use an oiler or you can pour a little on a rag and have at it. Only down side is it will collect dust faster but a quick wipe down and your good to go. I personally prefer this to wd40 but thats more cause I like the smell of oil over it.

I use this junk called Protect-All I got from one of my customers that makes RV parts, but I spose its the same as Armor All or F-21... :roll:

I gotta try that. Oh and as a general disclaimer be very careful around stickers or painted writing. A very good example is white writing on schwinns. Especially if it spent a long time in the Sun. One careless wipe can take it all off so careful

I use Marvle Mystery Oil, another one of its many uses :D I wipe it on and let it sit on it for a few days. What has not soaked in or evaporated I buff off with a rag. It does seem to leave some type of film behind, does not seem greasy or attracts dust. Also seems to work well on bare metal bikes.

CeeBee said:
"CeeBee's Secret Shiny Sauce" = Boiled Linseed oil mixed 50/50 with Mineral Spirits. I guess its not a secret now. :wink:
If you decide you don't like it later it wipes off with 100% Mineral Spirits with no harm to the original paint or patina.
CeeBee

Where do you buy or find Linseed oil?

1918 Ranger

I had some wd40 in stock so I gave it a shot. Big improvement. I'll get some pics once it's all back together.

Thanks for the info!

CeeBee said:
"CeeBee's Secret Shiny Sauce" = Boiled Linseed oil mixed 50/50 with Mineral Spirits. I guess its not a secret now. :wink:
If you decide you don't like it later it wipes off with 100% Mineral Spirits with no harm to the original paint or patina.
Thanks CeeBee

Next question. How do u get your wife to let u boil that combo in the kitchen? Which special pot of hers do u use?

Bet that makes some great aromas too.

1918 Ranger

Back