OH Man did that HURT!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I rode my Schwinn to work today............
blackbike004-3.jpg

I almost made it all the way there

After slowing for a stop sign I was standing and peddling to get though the intersection.
When I felt and heard what sounded like the chain breaking. Before I new what was going on the bike was on the street with me crashing down on top of the handlebars my sternum hit the handlebars :shock: (Man does that hurt)
Got up as fast as I could. Big thanks to a young guy walking across the street to help me. :D
When I looked down I saw the bearings from the bottom bracket
I am thinking what just happened?
This is what happened..........
Does this crank make me look fat? :roll:
blackbike009-3.jpg

blackbike002-4.jpg

blackbike003-4.jpg

blackbike004-5.jpg

blackbike007-4.jpg

blackbike008-3.jpg

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
I am not small but not the biggest guy a round 6ft tall 200lbs
This is the secound Schwinn crank to fail
blackrat009-1.jpg

Back in Dec. this happened
I think its time to only use three piece cranks or stop using Schwinns :wink:
need to go take some more Ibuprofen

I bought a prewar Schwinn once that had a cracked crank. It didn't break all the way through but almost. Yours could have been a bad casting with porosity in it or maybe the crank was bent once upon a time and someone bent it back, weakening it. That, or maybe you are just one bad dude. :shock: Gary

Another good argument for a front hand break. Got a date on those cranks? It may have been cracked for a long time. Bent and re-straightened is a good possibility, maybe more than once, but that other one broken at the pedal was probably curbed hard or repeatedly turn-pedaled into the ground. I know a guy who ruined one side of several 3-pc sets that way, within a couple of months time. I haven't seen broken ones so much as bent, I tend to toss them. Same with forks, unless its very minor.

WHOA!!! :shock:

if your legs do that to cranks, you should be kicking field goals for the Bears! :wink:

could have been worse, glad you're okay

Baby's got Leggg! he's no chicken leg. Hope you're feeling better by the weekend . I don't think I'll make T De Fat but maybe..

Hmm, I usually start coasters by standing on the left pedal. I wonder how many times that was done with that crank over 46 yrs. :?
It also kind of looks like one side of the sprocket's been rubbing more than the other, I wonder how long it was "on the verge".

11063961_gal.jpg

Isn't anybody gonna help that poor man?" Dr. Sam Johnson: Hush, Harriet! That's a sure way to get him killed!
009.jpg

...for you young folks...the above quote was from the movie "Blazing Saddles" 1974

Whow...nice action shot!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

...for you young folks...the above quote was from the movie "Blazing Saddles" 1974
hey, just because im young, doesnt mean i havent seen every great mel brooks movie. :lol:

I had that happen a month ago awfull feeling, I got a little bit luckier though, was staring up going up a steep hill the crank arm snapped caught myself on the handlebars planted my two feet and skidded 25 feet thanks to wearing vans classics.
Hit my sternum a little had a big bruise but not as painful as getting it tattood ;)

Back