Odd Duck: "Magic Behrens" Folding Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife found this one handing in a barn this afternoon, emailed me a pic, and I said "offer $40." The seller said no, he wanted $175. My wife walked away, and he says "you wouldn't do $50?" and she said no, $40 was it. So he took it, and now I have it. I think it's a West German bike from the 60's? Never had a folder before. I'll restore it and probably keep it in the back of my truck. Will need to deal with the front fork, which is bent on one side -- I'll have to see if a regular Tange fork will work, otherwise I'll look into the chopper bike sites for a reasonable replacement. So what does the crew at RatRodBikes have to say about this one?
P7090001.jpg

P7090002.jpg

P7090003.jpg

P7090004.jpg

P7090006.jpg

That is one strange puppy, but cool. I have over a half dozen folders myself from Swedish to Polish. Got some from China to Japan ones too. I just loaded my Raleigh Twenty In the back of my wifes car that I'm using in Vermont this weekend, she won't let me put the full size in anymore :roll: ...I don't want to talk about why... :oops:

German, eh......sometimes they need very special tools, if you have a hard time working with it I might be able to get you through it. Looks like a monocoque type frame, I have never seen one like what you have. What make hub is on it and is it multie speed. My Swedish folder has a Sachs 2-speed kickback maybe yours is one of those. I like the chainring. What make and size tires does this have?

Those forks...... you didn't get them out of KOTA's garbage can did you?.......... :lol: inside joke :lol: you might have a hard time finding one for this but there must be a way to fit other forks other than German. I did a fork replacement on my Jua Kali bike in my last build off and had a bit of a time to put forks on a German made Hercules.

Graylock

One COOL bike!.....That fork is giving me NEW ideas.

I actually like the fork the way it is. Also that rusted look is killer. I'd throw some red line tires on it, chop or drop the rear fender and call it done.

Back