Not that kind of 29er UPDATE: faux tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my latest project, a 1929 Hawthorne Trailblazer Motobike. It's a fun build, but not wild enough for the build-off. I picked this one up about a month ago and have been slowly piecing it together, to the point that it's now rideable. Still working on it though.

This is what I brought home that first day.
29-01.JPG

This bike originally had 28" wooden wheels, not the most practical, I decided to run 700C instead. Here's a mockup with the tires.
29-02.JPG

The rims I went with are Sun CR-18 700c 36 hole rims. I wanted the wheels to have a wood look, so I thought covering them in this wood-grain tape I found might work.
29-03.JPG

Took a long time getting them wrapped up nicely in the tape, and after a coat of clear to seal it all in, it looked like this.
29-04.JPG

So yeah, that was no good. Very dissapointing, but after that I decided to try my hand at faux wood-graining by hand. Picked up some paint, and here's how it came out. I've never tried this before, sort of figured it out as I went. I think it came out better than the tape.
29-05.JPG

29-06.JPG

I have the original New departure model C, but I laced in a new Shimano instead, and got a skiptooth sprocket to fit it from that eBay guy. For the front I used the original New Departure S.M hub. This was the first time I tried lacing and truing a wheel myself, it's rideable, but could be a bit rounder.
29-07.JPG

I picked up a stem, cross brace handlebars, rack, light and battery can, and threw on some grips I had. I also replaced the seat with my Brooks from another project.
DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Check out the battery that goes in that battery can.
29-08.JPG

Got the grips matched, and got a Klaxon horn installed. Took it out for a ride with MadMax '58, that's his killer Murray in the back.
29-09.JPG

29-10.JPG

And this just came in the mail too, got to find a good way to secure it to the fender without drilling holes into it.
29-11.JPG

Next up, make a wooden tank.

Re: Not that kind of 29er

Very nice. I love the finish of the rims and the patina on the frame. Always good to see another Trail Blazer as well. I happen to have it's sister. The finish on this was all but gone so I took it in more of a retro-mod direction using 700C velocity blunts laced to model D hubs.

4650363962_f5a68896ed_z.jpg

5232481007_1b0906e348_z.jpg

Great bikes! Wish here were more of them out there!

great job on the woodgrain,I will have to have a go at it,i did marble effect awhile ago and came out good but was trial and error involved as one bit would look awesome and the next like ka ka,seems like you could make some coin on this,as long as its not too time consuming,maybe a frame in the works if you did the main tubes and with bare metal lugs nicely patina'd....lugs..that reminds me that some people think that All bikes have welded frames? even the ones who ride old luged road bikes..WHAT THE DEUCE MAN!

That is one beautiful bike :!: ....those wheels are a work of art!

I'm in need of a skiptooth sprocket, who is the eBay person that sells them?

Got some saddlebags from twjensen, he does good work. Still have to find a way to mount the swan without messing up the fender, but I have an idea on that. Anwyay, here's some new pictures, my dog was checking it out too.

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

Re: Not that kind of 29er UPDATE: saddlebags

Nice to see other people working on the 28" wheel bikes.
As much as I like balloon tire bikes, I like the adult sized
28" wheel bikes better

The wood graining looks really good!

I'm in the middle of a 1919 Elgin Resto-Mod; repainted to
match the original paint scheme but with Velocity P35 rims,
5 speed SRAM coaster brake hub, front drum. Velo Orange crank
and Left Bank handlebars etc. I'm making a replica of an original
rack in aluminum and will also be making an appropriate looking
headlight and battery tank. I'll start a thread here when I get the
polishing done.

I hope your dog's name isn't Whizzer :wink:

That sounds really interesting, I look forward to seeing it. I hear ya on the 28" bikes, this is my first one, and it's a totally different feeling when riding it from a balloon tire.

MadMax '58 said:
That's it!...I can't go riding with you anymore....Your bike is just looking to awesome....Those bags are just to cool.... 8) 8) Nice work....Looking forward to the next ride...... :D 8)
Thanks Max, I am too.

Endlesschain said:
awesome,those bags really look the part,wonder if your dog can sit on the rack?that would have topped it off :D
Haha, I tried to get her on there, she freaked out. :roll: :lol:

Back