Not Fixed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been around as a fad for several years, and now seems to be fading. I still don't get the fixie thing. Now, I don't want to be judgemental, everybody has a right to get thier bike on. However(comma) it seems that limiting your efficiency by only having one gear makes no sense. If you like the "reliability and efficiency" of the drivetrain, running an 8 speed Alfine or SRAM essentially does the same thing. No brakes? A recipe for ending up in the hospital. When I was a kid, I thought multi gear bikes were awesome. I could ride up a hill without getting off and walking. When cantilever, then V brakes came along, I was overjoyed. You could actually slow down and stop without killing yourself. These things having greatly increased the useability of bikes without any real drawbacks. One thing I DO lament is the compartmentalisation of categories of bikes. Off road(and on) bikes going to integrated headsets, different front axles, etc. are not going to bode well in the future for ones wanting to rebuild a bike. But al in all, there have been a lot of good things in the past 40 years.

I don't see the point of taking muti gear drive train and brakes off a bike, putting a fixed gear on it and thinking you now have a bike worth twice as much as before. If you want to impress people by riding backwards that is cool but to me the whole thing is a waste and your LBS is making money selling track gears and Ebay is full of left over parts. Just an old man talking, to each their own.

sheesh, aren't there already enough threads and posts about how lame fixed gear bikes and riders are?

fwiw, i like it because it replicates the rush you had as a little kid- when the outcome of a bike ride was not assured :mrgreen:

Back