NOS means New Old Stock!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way I learned it, but for many it seems they have no clue. I grew up in the antique business, and NOS was reserved for items that had original factory packaging as intended for retail "stock". It was if you were looking at something "new" - never sold before back when it was first made.

How do people justify saying their item for sale is NOS when it's clearly used and in some cases trashed? I don't get it....

When I'm looking for something on eBay, and I want true NOS, I get anything but. Annoying. Grrrrr.

Mike.

Oh no you guys got it all wrong.

Nos means "need other sucka's" to purchase my junk. :wink: :wink: :wink:

icyuod2 said:
Oh no you guys got it all wrong.

Nos means "need other sucka's" to purchase my junk. :wink: :wink: :wink:
lol

Just like on CL. I mean how is a beat up house paint 50's frame NOS :roll: :roll: I see it all the time. The one thing about NOS my Dad taught me was the it's only New Old Stock once :wink:

I recently listed an ebay auction for some NOS western flyer grips, Started the auction for 4.99. After six days it didnt get any bids, I chickened out and ended up pulling the auction with 1 day left. I can always sell or trade them elsewhere.

Its been a long time since Ive tried to auction anything on ebay, and I pretty much know how the game works, but did the NOS description hurt? they are NOS right?

wfg.jpg

Ratfink1962 said:
they are NOS right?

wfg.jpg

No, I'm sorry, but what you have there is ONS, (old new stock), there's just no market for that. :| :| :| :? :lol: :p

Those are cool!

They didn't get any action because you put "NOS" in your title; that automatically lumped them in with the garbage.

You should have said they were "Eames era" or "old school" or "emo" or ...

nos means now old scrap doesnt it?
ohh wait thats just what people are referring to as nos 90% of the time.....they might be better of saying 'factory equipment'
at least they wouldnt be lying then :lol:

deorman said:
Ratfink1962 said:
they are NOS right?

No, I'm sorry, but what you have there is ONS, (old new stock), there's just no market for that. :| :| :| :? :lol: :p

Ahhhh, I KNEW it had to be something like that!! :lol:

schwinnmesa said:
NOS means old product that has never been used so therefore it must be new. New old stock.

I win. :mrgreen: Gimme cookie! :lol:

Yeah, it might be "new" to the guy buying it, but that doesn't make it a mint-never-taken-out-of-its-original-packaging kinda 'new'.

Rustinkerer said:
The common "NOS, but it sat on a shelf for 40 years and is rusty" always gives me a chuckle! :lol: -Adam

I hear ya! :)

I just saw en ebay ad that said- "It's used, but basically NOS".

I felt like sending an email that said "I heard there was a woman who had a child, but was basically a virgin. It was such a rare event, she's world famous. Your item must be pretty special..."

Mike.

6ixty 6ix said:
schwinnmesa said:
NOS means old product that has never been used so therefore it must be new. New old stock.

I win. :mrgreen: Gimme cookie! :lol:

Yeah, it might be "new" to the guy buying it, but that doesn't make it a mint-never-taken-out-of-its-original-packaging kinda 'new'.

True. My dad has some NOS fenders that are all scratched up (but they still have their original price tag attached). I think there's a line somewhere though. For instance, I could a NOS bicycle wheel but say if I buried it for the next ten years, it would be all rusted and corroded and yet it would still be NOS simply because it's never been used?

It's a tough debate. Maybe people should start saying "old stock" if it's not in new condition. :?

Latest posts

Back