Noobie here looking for some tips.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought this Huffy today not sure on the year. I plan on ratting it out and am looking for some tips, I plan on using my own creative talents but just want some do's and don'ts if you will.
mohuffy001.jpg

Weird badge of some sort.
huffy017.jpg

Another shot.
huffy016.jpg

I am new to these types of bike's I usually work on and build BMX bikes. Any one got any suggestions on bars? I tried flipping these and they felt too weird. I will post updates once it starts taking shape.

most important:
DO have fun
DON'T worry about anything too much.

More informative: DO: Measure stuff before you order stuff. You'll want to measure space between the stays before you order new tires, lest you get ones that're too fat, and you'd have to mod the frame. Check the exact wheel-size before ordering tires, too, so you won't need new rims. remember that your frame likely takes a different-size headset cup than the standard 1"; try to keep the original cups if you can. also remember that your fork accepts only the skinny 21.1mm stem, unless you wanna mod stuff.

In closing, remember the vernacular with these sorts of things:

Board Tracker translation: "I flipped the bars on my cruiser and added a layback seatpost. I have also added/will add cream tires."
Cafe Racer translation: "I forgot to buy/couldn't afford a layback seatpost for my Board Tracker, plus I dig Brit culture."
Klunker translation: "I put knobbies and BMX bars on my cruiser"
Street Skinny translation "I had road parts lying around, so i put 27x1 1/4" slicks (or similar) on my cruiser"

(Just mentioned these b/c the OP mentioned flipping the bars and not liking it. Anyone got any more?)

-rob

well....the only advise i have for you is build it how you want and dont worry about what others will say you should do....
you forgot one 808....
CHOPPER= i put some apes on my bike

sensor said:
you forgot one 808....
CHOPPER= i put some apes on my bike

heck, yes! how could i have missed that one? :wink:
-rob

woodenfoot-- your huffy is a great starting point; have fun

Back